Options

DSS - Need opinion on B&W Conversion

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited January 10, 2009 in Finishing School
I am considering this image of my little girl Potato for the DSS 16 challenge. I wanted to get some feedback on the B&W conversion I did on her. Is there enough range? I added a warm filter to it as well.

Any other PP I can do to make the photo more compelling or should I go with this?

Any other feedback would be appreciated.

452172214_hg2XA-L.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    I wanted to get some feedback on the B&W conversion I did on her.

It would help to see the color image you were working with.
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    jjbong wrote:
    It would help to see the color image you were working with.

Cool. Here is the color image. Slightly different crop but I think this will work.

452421863_fmD7N-L.jpg
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    I think the B&W conversion is pretty good. I took a shot at it and was able to bring out a bit more detail, and perhaps make it a little "smoother", contrast-wise. I also didn't try to warm it, as you did, as I was focused solely on the conversion.

452470429_yTnwU-L.jpg

But the differences aren't enormous. How did you do the conversion?

By the way, there's a sticky thread at the top of this forum on B&W conversion (a large topic, with lots of ways to approach it).

If you're doing a B&W conversion, you might try this when you're done. Take the original color image, put the converted B&W into a layer above it in Luminosity mode. If your conversion was good, it should improve the original color image noticeably.

Here is my conversion as a Luminosity layer above your color original:

452470470_z8xfK-L.jpg

B&W conversions may seem like a little niche, but they're key to getting better contrast in color images.
    John Bongiovanni