Model comp card?

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited January 11, 2009 in People
Does anyone have experience with model comp cards? This is Kalina who I posted on another thread. She is wanting to be a model so I made this card for her mom to send out. Thanks to Sam for the background idea!

452538825_k89WB-XL.jpg
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,216 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    My daughter models & acts and I can only pass along what I have learned in the past 3 years and what my daughter's agent tells us.

This looks like a very nice promotional postcard, but it's not really the format of a 'comp card.' If the goal is to send this out to agents and/or casting directors, it might work. Usually what the agents & cd's are looking for is a great headshot and maybe a couple of other images, but the headshot is key. An agent or casting director may spend at most 2-3 seconds glancing at the main image before moving on. If the main image is a grabber, then the others may get noticed. If the main image doesn't grab, it doesn't matter how good the rest of them are. They just won't get looked at.

The main picture on this postcard is very nice. I'd try to add at least one of the others where the child is really smiling big or laughing and you don't want to cover her face with your copyright stamp. The marketing postcard would have more impact that way (and they are trying to market her, not you).

Not that you need to follow this style by any means because I really like the one you put together (I'd just try to change one of the pics to a smiling one), but here's my daughter's comp card along with a general marketing postcard. The comp card includes a tear sheet from a real job. I don't really like the picture, but her agent wanted it on the comp. These are a couple of years old & I really need to get them updated but you get the idea of the format agents and cd's are used to seeing. Marketing postcards can take any format though and I really like yours.

Comp Card
    452560291_vBh6B-M.jpg

Marketing Postcard
    452560329_YEt5N-M.jpg

Sherry
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    I second what Sherry said. Compcards are not xmas postcards, they should give the potential agent/customer a clear idea of how the model look like, what's her (or his) "selling points" are and how to contact her/him should the need be. As always in this cut-throat industry, the compcard should serve as a "three second decision maker". Agents are busy people.
    So forget all the fancy stuff and don't waste the card real estate for anything but the images and contact info. Highly readable and contrasty fonts are recommended. 3-4 looks per card.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    If you "google" headshots, you will get lots of information:

http://www.headshots101.com/

including many printers who specialize in headshot cards with templates they prefer:

http://www.spotlightprinting.net/home.htm

I dont know either of these, but they are simply examples of what you can find.

Z

It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.