Snow Day for the dog!..looking for C&C

ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
edited January 12, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Hi there....I was hoping to get some feed back on this pic I took today of my dog (Augie).
Possible entry for DSS#16. Anything I can do to improve it?
Thanks in advance! Karin

452538909_qwMVn-L.jpg
Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain

Comments

• madrustymadrusty Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    I like it. Possibly brighten the eyes. I have no idea how that's done but I see it suggested quite a bit.
    Kim
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    Hi there....I was hoping to get some feed back on this pic I took today of my dog (Augie).
    Possible entry for DSS#16. Anything I can do to improve it?
    Thanks in advance! Karin

Hi there Karin, what a lovely dog iloveyou.gif
    I think you could lighten the image up more, that snow is not blown out at all, so that gives you more room to play.

It's a lovely shot thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Thanks Kim and Skippy! I will take your suggestions and see what I can do:D
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • LCDLCD Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Hi Karin,

I agree with the other suggestions. In addition to lightening the shot, you might try to create some catch lights in the eyes. On my monitor (which I admit is is desperate need of calibration) I cant see the eyes at all.

Good luck if you entered the challenge. I aplaud your efforts!

Lisa
    edited January 11, 2009
    Okay I've taken your suggestions on lightening her up. I couldn't seem to get the eyes any lighter/brighter, any hints on how best to do that?
    Is this new version any better? I also added a new picture I took this morning which I thought turned out pretty good, what do you think?

453052140_8sz9f-L.jpg

453038988_ZWivP-L.jpg
    Karin

edited January 11, 2009
    The lightened shot looks much better to me. the second option that you posted does show more details in the eyes. For the second shot I would be tempted to do a tight crop on the face to highlight the details of the face and the snow on the fur. For me, the rest of the image does not add much.

As far as the first shot. I would try isolating the eyes and playing with the dodge tool. but I am no expert in post processing
    edited January 11, 2009
    LCD wrote:
    The lightened shot looks much better to me. the second option that you posted does show more details in the eyes. For the second shot I would be tempted to do a tight crop on the face to highlight the details of the face and the snow on the fur. For me, the rest of the image does not add much.

As far as the first shot. I would try isolating the eyes and playing with the dodge tool. but I am no expert in post processing

Is this a better crop?
    On the first one, I was trying to use the dodge tool, but wasn't having much luck. I'm gonna keep trying! Thanks for your help
    453038988_ZWivP-XL-1.jpg
    Karin

edited January 11, 2009
    I wish I could be of more help. I do like the tighter crop better. Do you? I would play around with different crops and see what I like best. Then keep that in mind for the next time you do a portrait of this pretty pooch for diffetent comp options. I would also try tilting the photo to see if I liked that. I think it turns our better if you you shoot with a vision in mind and dont have to crop a lot after the shot.

It's hard to take outstanding pet shots because it is such a common subject. In order for the image to be a standout, I think it takes a creative view. Just my opinion on that.
  • GreydogGreydog Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Hi Karin,

I definitely like the closer crop better. Nice definition and expression of the eyes. A great photo of a lovely golden thumb.gif
    edited January 12, 2009
    Greydog wrote:
    Hi Karin,

I definitely like the closer crop better. Nice definition and expression of the eyes. A great photo of a lovely golden thumb.gif

Thanks Lori, I truly appreciate the comments!
    Karin