Alaska Range Alpenglo Pano (2400px wide)

NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
edited January 11, 2009 in Landscapes
Last spring I took a set of images of the Alaska Range thinking I'd lace them into a pano. I didn't have a tripod but the lighting was so cool I had to try. I finally got around to lacing them together. Only my third or fourth pano. C/C requested please.

original.jpg
Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...

Comments

• leaheleahe Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Absolutely beautiful, Dan! This makes me want to try my hand at panos.
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Wow! Beautiful!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Well... if I had taken this, I would have processed it immediately instead of waiting over 6 months (then again, my OCD like tendencies probably shouldn't be emulated).

Great shot! Love having all of those peaks in a single frame and you got them at the right moment.

I might also try cropping out the left-third, so that the two larger peaks act like bookends, although the left peak looks pretty sweet too ne_nau.gif
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Thanks for the comments, folks.

Ron, our season is so short up here I try to spend a little time as possible on the computer and as much as possible in the field. Plus when the weather is like this (hovering around -40 for three weeks now) working on photos of better times help one hold on to a shred of hope that winter will eventually end :D

Regarding cropping further, I had the same thought about the bookends but already cut a peak off of either end and just couldn't bring myself to trim it any more ne_nau.gif
    Dan

• jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    This is beautiful. I can't imagine having images like this unprocessed for 6 months! Wow.

Question: would it be faithful to the original scene to up the contrast a bit on this? What's the histogram look like for this image?
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    You need to do this more often.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
    edited January 11, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    This is beautiful. I can't imagine having images like this unprocessed for 6 months! Wow.

Question: would it be faithful to the original scene to up the contrast a bit on this? What's the histogram look like for this image?

I was on the road with my job when I took the images one morning before work. I didn't have my laptop with me and if I don't have time to process images right away during the shooting season they pretty much have to wait until winter ne_nau.gif

The red channel on the histo is maxed out. Any further brightening start clipping highlights in the red channel. Visually the detail in the snow on the mountain tops start getting lost. I do think that the overall image pretty well represents the pre-dawn lighting when I took the photos.
    Dan

• ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    I wouldn't crop the left edge...the cloudy peak on the left is really nice and without it, the pano is too short in width.

I would consider cropping the vertical...cut some of the solid black off the bottom edge and trim a bit of the sky. Makes the whole thing feel longer (due to being shorter vertically). I wouldn't cut all of that solid black but a good percentage of it.

Very nice color on the snow.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 11, 2009
    Nice work Dan! Thats really what it looks like up here in the morning or evening. Is that part of the Chugiak Mountain Range?
  • Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Spectacular , I really need to get to AK
    edited January 11, 2009
    Thanks for the comments. I'll poke around with some additional cropping. I tried cropping more of the bottom but with just a strip of it left I didn't like it. The problem is the really dark part on the left. It looks wierd if it's just a strip of it. Longer and narrower is not a problem. I already cropped away about a third of the original length because it was just too long ne_nau.gif

Jag this is the Alaska Range viewed from Delta Junction. I was flying out of the Anchorage airport this past Thursday right at sundown and the mountains were really lit up. Only captured a mental image though rolleyes1.gif
    Dan