Options

Framing own Pics

zoom bugzoom bug Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited January 14, 2009 in Finishing School
I'd like to frame my own pics. Do I secure the photo to the mat? Do I do it with Tape? Glue?

Thanks.:dunno

Comments

• Options
    PunkybethPunkybeth Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    zoom bug wrote:
    I'd like to frame my own pics. Do I secure the photo to the mat? Do I do it with Tape? Glue?

Thanks.ne_nau.gif

Hey Zoom Bug,

I'm not an expert, but I've matted a couple things before. I usually mount the photos to non-acid foam backerboard and attach the photo to the foam with double sided tape (specifically made for photos). Then I create a hinge for the mat and backerboard so you can open it up like a book. There are also corners you can use instead of tape on the photos so you can always remove the photo.

You can find stuff for matting at http://www.jerrysartarama.com/. They have really good prices for matting supplies.

Good luck!
    Robyn T. Lisone
    MUTTography - Modern and Fun Lifestyle Pet Photography
    MUTTography | My SmugMug | Facebook | Google+

• Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    Thanks Punkybeth!

Great suggestions! :D I'll try these and see how it goes!
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    One of the best things to adhere a photo to a foam core board or matting is to use the 3M Super 77 Spray adhesive. A lot of frame shops use this. I've used it in my custom subwoofer boxes in car audio adhering the carpet or vinyl to woods. It is a GREAT adhesive. Spray on photo and foam core, let sit for about 5 minutes, and adhere. You won't be disappointing.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Go to the Frame Destination website. They have instructions there with drawings, much easier than trying to explain with only words.

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    Thanks for all the tips!

You are right Sam, the Frame Destination website description/photos were very helpful.

And I'll try the 3M spray adhesive.

Great Great Info.

I'll get started.wings.gif
  • Options
    gmitchel850gmitchel850 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    One of the best things to adhere a photo to a foam core board or matting is to use the 3M Super 77 Spray adhesive. A lot of frame shops use this. I've used it in my custom subwoofer boxes in car audio adhering the carpet or vinyl to woods. It is a GREAT adhesive. Spray on photo and foam core, let sit for about 5 minutes, and adhere. You won't be disappointing.

Agreed, for cold mounting, the 3M spray is the better way to proceed.

Cheers,

Mitch
  • Options
    JohnCJohnC Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Subscribing! :D
    Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
    Canon AE-1 Program l FD 28mm 1:2.8 l FD 50mm 1:1.8 l Sunpak Auto 821 Dedicated