Second Attempt at Self Portraits

sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
edited January 11, 2009 in People
I'm still not getting good separation between my hair and the background. Oh well, gives me a reason to try again. I also can't manage to look at the camera with a good expression.

1.452597016_jQuyP-L.jpg

2.452599624_Z2tuc-L.jpg

Caroline

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    I'm still not getting good separation between my hair and the background. Oh well, gives me a reason to try again. I also can't manage to look at the camera with a good expression.

Caroline

GaWOW! They're both fab (love the touches of red!) but the second one is just spectacular.

What I'm loving about these two is that since the first batch you posted you are not only getting the technical side of the lighting down (yes I see what you mean about the separation, but other than that it's very nice), but I see a very personal style emerging - these are not "just a portrait" but really have something personal about them (above and beyond the subect that is).

You also have really really expressive hands - in that first shot they're pretty much perfect.

Yay! It's the dgrin SP club!! :D:D
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Oh I love iloveyou.gif #2 - that is just soooooo cool! Love the light and thelack of light (on the CR side :D). Clone out few of the wrinkles in the ground cloth and this would be a sure winner!!!thumb.gifivar wings.gifbowdown.gif
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Thanks, guys. I had a lot of fun with the dancer series I did tonight. I used a bare flash from behind, and reflectors on the other side and in front. I think I may use this technique with a friend who's a yoga instructor. I see about removing those wrinkles from the floor.

I seriously don't know where I'd be without dgrin and your support/suggestions.

Caroline
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    I seriously don't know where I'd be without dgrin and your support/suggestions.

Allow me to echo that statement loudly. The only reason I can even attempt this stuff is due to the help I've had from this place. Bravi tutti!! clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    The first one is very sweet. And I have yet to master the key light, either. :D

The second one is very cool. Great capture. thumb.gif Thank you for sharing your light set-up!
  • CBec2003CBec2003 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    beautiful
    I love how the red pops in the first picture and the side light in the second is gorgeous.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Caroline

No worries on the look! You have it! Gorgeous!

cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    I'm still not getting good separation between my hair and the background.
    Caroline
    Do you have a second flash. It might be possible to get the seperation you are looking for without it but if so, I can't think of how right now.

With a second light, it's an easy task to snoot/grid it to hit your hair from behind and/or from the side. Power setting doesn't need to be very high to get the job done.
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    A second flash is next on my list. I just have the sb600 so far.

Caroline
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    I love the light in the first one and the second one is just way cool! :)

-- Lisa P.