Recent HDR Images - C&C?

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited January 13, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Here are some recent HDR images I just finished processing. These are from various spots along the San Antonio Riverwalk, all taken in the last few weeks. I'd appreciate any C&C. Thanks, Lauren

1. Water Lilies - hard to believe it's winter!
452668248_AgKnM-M-1.jpg

2. Augusta St. Bridge, one of the oldest in the city
452680334_i3BRs-M-2.jpg

3. Southwest School of Art, Riverwalk entrance
452675647_TPWP4-M-1.jpg

4. Bridge in the King William Historic District
440835690_hCWcc-M-1.jpg

5. Orchid at the Botanic Gardens
452650149_bEcta-M-1.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Very nice shots!! I love the color! What program did you use because they don't look like Photomatrix but they are totally awesome! Nice work as always! I really wish the weather would get better. I am about to upgrade to a D90 and a 70-200 2.8 so I can't wait to get out and try some new shots!
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Thanks for the nice compliments! I did use Photomatix Pro, with 3 exposures for each image. All but the orchid were handheld also--pure luck that they came out as nicely as they did since I usually have lots of camera shake. :D

Good luck with your D90 and that faster lens. I want a wide angle 2.8 but have to quit buying other stuff if I want to get one. I'll be looking forward to seeing your shots with your new gear.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    These are all pretty nice shots ! Not easy to tell that they were actually done using hdr techniques. Well done ! I prefer the first and last pics since they are not usual hdr subjects.
    Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/
  • LCDLCD Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    A nice series of shots, I like #4 the best. Im actually confursed by the floral shots as I usually try to minimize the bg elements when I'm shooting flowers??
    edited January 11, 2009
    LCD - I agree with you on minimizing the BG. I was in more of a hurry with these two flower shots than I should have been, so I didn't think them through. Fortunately, both are nearby so I plan to re-shoot them soon. If I set up right and pay attention to what I'm doing, I can get some nice blurred backgrounds with my 70-300.

FYI, I have some other "atypical" HDR subjects in my HDR gallery:http://redleash.smugmug.com/HDR%20(High%20Dynamic%20Range)

Thanks for your comments!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Lauren,

Nice shots and PP. I particularly like 4 & 5.
    Randy
  • jstpeterjstpeter Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Lauren,

Very nice colors in your floral shots. Well done.

My favorite of the others is # 2 of the bridge. It puts me on the bridge and I like the visual from this angle. The building in the background distracts however.

#3 does not do all that much for me I think compostion could be improved and the grey sky and sorry but "puke" green water do not make it apealing, nice sublt HDR however

#4 The post in front of the steps break this photo up. I would have gone with a wider angle and shot in front of the post to the right to capture the bridge and the architectural item on the left of the bridge.

As for the HDR the best advice I ever received was to first make sure your HDR contains the basic things that make a good photograph. It you can't check this box then step back and recompose. Once you see the shot try to see the world in HDR and once you do you will instantly begin to see when and where HDR will enhance your work.

And finally, Keep posting please!!! you show an understanding of this technique and your photos HDR or not are always a pleasure to see.
    Would love to hear from you on my blog, or website!
    edited January 13, 2009
    Jason--Thanks so much for your critique and your encouragement, esp about my HDR shots. Your gallery is such fun to look at--you tend to go for the more extreme HDR look and with the subjects and comps you use you have created some superb art! Maybe you'd like to head down I-35 and give me some more pointers!? Your comment about starting with a good photographic image is right on, and something I need to pay more attention to all the way around.

Randy--Thanks!

I will definitely keep posting so I can keep getting help and critiques! Thanks to all!

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com