SF Nightscapes

leaheleahe Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
edited January 15, 2009 in Landscapes
This was my first attempt at any nightscape. Please let me know how I could have shot these better. In looking at these on my monitor I think I should have used a little bit longer of a shutter speed since I had to lighten these just a tad. Perhaps 30 seconds long. These were shot from the shore at Treasure Island.

1. Bay Bridge to Coit Tower
452737465_2RcgD-M.jpg

2. Coit Tower
452737402_ckfYF-M.jpg

3. Pier 3
452737457_zAMmf-M.jpg

Comments

• Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    I like #1 The others look to noisy for me. The noise distracts from the image you are presenting for me.
  • JzazziJzazzi Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Are #2 and #3 a crop of #1? It looks like this is a series of shots that is stitched, is that right?

-J
  • philipwphilipw Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Very nice. I've enjoyed shooting SF at night myself. Why was Coit Tower lit up in red?

Philip
  • a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    leahe wrote:
    This was my first attempt at any nightscape. Please let me know how I could have shot these better. In looking at these on my monitor I think I should have used a little bit longer of a shutter speed since I had to lighten these just a tad. Perhaps 30 seconds long. These were shot from the shore at Treasure Island.
    Hi Leah,
    I'm still experimenting with night photography too.

So far, I like shooting when there's still a little light in the sky,
    about 30 minutes to an hour after sunset. I think during that hour,
    you get a nice balance of evening light and artificial light.

During that time, you'll get more color in the sky and less blackness.

I think in darkness of the sky, the color is there, but if you want
    to bring it out, you'll have to push the post processing.

Treasure Island is wonderful spot.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    I recently shot from Treasure Island at night. I believe my shutter was 25 sec but I had my lens stopped down to f/16. Coit Tower was also lit in red at the time I beleive for the Holidays.

Here is my post with my pano if you're interested in seeing it:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=115607
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • PhotopaddlerPhotopaddler Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Nice job, these are good shots.thumb.gif Keeping the water in the frame is always good, slightly longer exposiors might help to get more detail from the buildings, beware however longer shots will increase the noise in the shot. I agree with Alvin on the timing for just after sunset, also shooting under a full moon has worked well for me. I'm still exparimenting with this, but I am hooked on shooting at night.
  • leaheleahe Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    All of these shots are individual shots, but were cropped a bit to get rid of some of the sky. #1 was shot with a 24-70 at 24mm, #2 was shot with a 70-200 at 200mm and #3 was also with the 70-200 at 153mm. I really want to try a pano like anonymouscuban did. By the way, your pano was just awesome and the inspiration to try this. We got there at 11:45pm not realizing that some of the lights go out at midnight. The white outline gets turned off, but Coit stayed red. We were on a dinner cruise on the bay before that. I will have to try timing future night shots in that 30mins to 1hr after sunset timeframe. That is what I am looking for I think. Thank you everyone for your comments. You guys rock! I just need to remember that photography isn't always done after the sun goes down.
  • JzazziJzazzi Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    If you haven't already seen the "Help baldy" thread, it's a great resource for /exactly/ the pano you're trying to build. And yes there is something magical about photos of the city after sunset, just moments after the city lights turn on while there is still some light in the atmosphere.

-Justin