Reflection - Please tell me what you think

LCDLCD Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
edited January 12, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Hi, I've had a sm account for some time and I've frequented the forums from time to time. I've decided it's time to get serious about improving my skills. I'm hoping you'll help by giving me your honest opinions. Do you like this image? And why, if you know. Do you not like this image, and why if you know. What do you think would make if better?

I'll be happy to return the favor.

Thanks in advance.

Lisa

449092673_tLVWi-L.jpg

Comments

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Hi Lisa....... The structural steel that has been added around the entry, ruins the beauty of the entry. And it takes away from the whole picture, IMO.
    I believe that your picture is a little flat and it would benefit from a little pp. And if it was mine, I would get rid of the white trash on the stairs.

ARE YOU SORRY YOU ASKED??? AZZARO
  • LCDLCD Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hi Lisa....... The structural steel that has been added around the entry, ruins the beauty of the entry. And it takes away from the whole picture, IMO.
    I believe that your picture is a little flat and it would benefit from a little pp. And if it was mine, I would get rid of the white trash on the stairs.

Not a bit sorry. This is exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate your feedback, Azzaro. many looked and "said" nothing. It was gettng to the point where I would have been happy with, "I don't like it and I can't tell you why" Laughing.gif.
    I did actually desaturate the pic, maybe I unintentionally added to the flat feeling you are getting. I'll work on the items that you mentioned. It may be for naught as there is not much I can do about the steel around the doorway.
    Thanks again!
    Lisa
    edited January 11, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:

Here it is with the original color saturation. I boosted the contrast and eliminated the trash. Tried to tone down the yellow somewhat.
    Unfortunately the steel bars are there to stay. At least in this image.

Thanks again Azzaro.

453283116_S7EJM-L.jpg
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    I like the composition. thumb.gif I'm not fond of the desaturation, though. I'd either keep it full color or go completely B&W, likely the latter, adding contrast as well, as Azzaro mentioned.

Looking forward to seeing you post more!

EDIT: Oop! Posted at the same time and just saw your color version. I like it better than the original, though it feels a tad warm.
    edited January 11, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I like the composition. thumb.gif I'm not fond of the desaturation, though. I'd either keep it full color or go completely B&W, likely the latter, adding contrast as well, as Azzaro mentioned.

Looking forward to seeing you post more!

EDIT: Oop! Posted at the same time and just saw your color version. I like it better than the original, though it feels a tad warm.

Thanks for your feedback Llywellyn. I'll keep working on it. I fear I'm not going to get my color straightened away until I get some calibration software. That's next on my list! These are the doors to St Patrick's Cathedral in NYC. Next place I visit in NYC will by B&H.
    edited January 12, 2009
    Hi Lisa....... If you rather I hadn't done this just say so and I will take it down.

453445562_K2dEg-L.jpg

Try to get a little more pop to it and you will have nice picture.
    edited January 12, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hi Lisa....... If you rather I hadn't done this just say so and I will take it down.

Try to get a little more pop to it and you will have nice picture.

Yes, that has much more pop. What - in general - did you adjust?

Thanks!!!
    Lisa
  • GreydogGreydog Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Hi Lisa,

I really like the full color version. Very rich, lovely color.

Lori
    edited January 12, 2009
    LCD wrote:
    Yes, that has much more pop. What - in general - did you adjust?

Thanks!!!
    Lisa

Do you have the software to adjust LEVELS/CURVES....

The histogram will show that the curve stops before it reaches either side, indicating it is low in contrast. My software allows me to auto levels or correct by hand....I corrected by hand by moving both indicators until they touched the curve where it started up. Then I pop the highlights only a little..... And called it good.

You have a strip of light on the bottom left and one running vertically on the right that needs to be removed ..... I also lassoed the wreath and added saturation.

azzaro........thumb.gif
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    I like both versions (probably the desaturated one better too!) but I think it's crooked and/or slightly out of perspective. headscratch.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler