Options

Pressure Waves

xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
edited January 18, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
In one of the other forums Baldy mentioned once how thermals off SanFran harbour were effecting the shot he was trying to make. I thought of that when I ran into this photo. Check out the pressure waves under this jet! (Used with permission.)

The caption reads, "...The jet is not yet supersonic, but is in the transonic region. The air around the plane is accelerated to supersonic speed when it encounters an obstruction (like a bump on the fuselage). Shocks within the supersonic flow (often causing it to decelerate to subsonic conditions) produce large gradients in air density and index of refraction, bending the light differentially on either side of the shock. Those pressure waves can be seen radiating from specific points on the aircraft (including the canopy)..."

Copyright - Bernard Zee

LINK
:thumb
X www.thepicturetaker.ca

Comments

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 11, 2009
    impressive force.
  • Options
    ashbyashby Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    He's ripping right along. Those are transonic shock waves off the fuselage while the airplane is not quite supersonic. Some of the aerodynamic surfaces cause local airflows to exceed sonic speed when the airplane, itself, is still subsonic. Cool shots, though.
  • Options
    CoreheadCorehead Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    Were you TRYING for that shot, or was that one of those "happy accidents"?

Never seen such from under a plane before--nice shootin'!

Steve-o
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    Corehead wrote:
    Were you TRYING for that shot...

Not my shot. (Full credit and link provided.) Just thought I'd post it here because it's a great example of how even the air itself can have a lens-like effect on your pix.

Besides: it's interesting and rare in it's own right!
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    The longer I looked at it, the more waves I saw. An absolutely amazing shot. Thanks for sharing it.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    Complete frame
    Here's the full shot:with permission. Copyright - Bernard Zee

He actually pulled off several frames during the fly-by. (Check out the link in the first post.)
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca