Madison - newborn shoot

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited January 13, 2009 in People
After doing John's promo shots, I went over to my friends to meet her daughter. Madison was born Dec. 23 so is now 19 days old. Photographing babies, I knew, would be much more difficult. And it was! I bought this adorble little reversible blanket - white faux sheep on one side and pink fleece on the other. Madison christened it twice :rofl but thats okay, thats what babies do.

So this is what I've come up with so far:
453275940_xDkML-L.jpg

453278141_Yys4x-L.jpg

453276209_4hoxB-L.jpg

453281064_2iiLY-L.jpg

453275317_5dPoD-L.jpg

ann

Comments

• BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    The last one is my favorite. Although I did find the doublehands one very interesting, but it got a little odd as the hands were not "defined" for me.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    The last one is my favorite. Although I did find the doublehands one very interesting, but it got a little odd as the hands were not "defined" for me.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ashbyashby Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    I like the last one. Number four is interesting, but shallow DOF is distracting. Since you went B&W, maybe a higher ISO and a little extra grain wouldn't be so bad.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    the last one is best in the series for me. How did you light these?
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Really like the last one the most. clap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009

Thanks, what I learned from this is that one must both be sure of the pose and also move quickly once you have it started - babies are squirmie!

ann
    edited January 12, 2009
    edited January 12, 2009
    ashby wrote:
    I like the last one. Number four is interesting, but shallow DOF is distracting. Since you went B&W, maybe a higher ISO and a little extra grain wouldn't be so bad.

Or a different crop, or more blur? Just the hands and feet, perhaps?
    edited January 12, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    the last one is best in the series for me. How did you light these?

With my new strobes in umbrellas.

447677990_GT43k-M.jpg
    edited January 12, 2009
    Really like the last one the most. clap.gif

Thanks - yep, I guess I should have made the point I saved the best for the last, as that really is my favorite too. I wasn't expecting to have a wide awake and seemingly interactive 3 week old! But, she was and this photo shows that.

ann
  • ZarathustraZarathustra Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    I'm going out on a limb here and disagreeing with everyone else that the double hands in number 3 are distracting or ill defined. I personally love the shot! I do think that number 4 could use a closer crop to just focus on the hands and feet since the face is so OOF. The last one is absolutely perfect! Great series!
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Nice lighting. I agree about #4, something isn't quite right. I would like #2 the best if it were cropped in a little tighter. Just a few suggestions for babies (my specialty :) is to invest in a poser or boppy and to put the babies on their bellies. They make the cutest of poses especially naked! and because the babies are usually very content and not so squirmy.
    Here is an example if you don't mind.

356422373_Sff2n-L.jpg
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
    edited January 13, 2009
    I'm going out on a limb here and disagreeing with everyone else that the double hands in number 3 are distracting or ill defined. I personally love the shot! I do think that number 4 could use a closer crop to just focus on the hands and feet since the face is so OOF. The last one is absolutely perfect! Great series!

Thanks - I love the concept of 3, but accept that execution isn't perfect! Something to try again, shall I have the opprtunity.

ann
    edited January 13, 2009
    Nice lighting. I agree about #4, something isn't quite right. I would like #2 the best if it were cropped in a little tighter. Just a few suggestions for babies (my specialty :) is to invest in a poser or boppy and to put the babies on their bellies. They make the cutest of poses especially naked! and because the babies are usually very content and not so squirmy.
    Here is an example if you don't mind.

I don't mind at all - actually ove this kind of info. But what IS a poser or boppy????

Great photo- and just the shot I hoped for, but Mdison had much different ideas! :D

ann
    edited January 13, 2009
    Alright folks - here is the other version of the two sets of hands - hands are better, but baby is no longer in profie. Overall, which is the better choice?

453276610_ZcDZx-L.jpg
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I don't mind at all - actually ove this kind of info. But what IS a poser or boppy????

Great photo- and just the shot I hoped for, but Mdison had much different ideas! :D

ann

Yes baby's have their own ideas:D A boppy is a tool women use for breast feeding. It is a beanbag like thing that is a 3/4circle. It works well for posing and you can buy it pretty much anywhere you buy baby stuff. A poser is something that you use specifically to pose babies and sometimes even people for pictures. There are many different kinds. I bought mine at www.wickerbydesign.com but you could check ebay and other photo companies too. I hope you get the opportunity to photograph Madison many more times! I am doing a Madison this week too. Only 1 week old. Must be a popular name! And just one tip. If there is a baby half asleep and has only one eye open or something...if you want their eyes closed just have the mom or you can, rub your finger down the slope of their nose. This usually causes them to instinctively close their eyes. Do if a few times and they may go to sleep!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
    edited January 13, 2009
    Thanks very much, great info.

I hope I get to shoot Madison again, as well as other babies (just not grandbabies yet!).

ann
    Yes baby's have their own ideas:D A boppy is a tool women use for breast feeding. It is a beanbag like thing that is a 3/4circle. It works well for posing and you can buy it pretty much anywhere you buy baby stuff. A poser is something that you use specifically to pose babies and sometimes even people for pictures. There are many different kinds. I bought mine at www.wickerbydesign.com but you could check ebay and other photo companies too. I hope you get the opportunity to photograph Madison many more times! I am doing a Madison this week too. Only 1 week old. Must be a popular name! And just one tip. If there is a baby half asleep and has only one eye open or something...if you want their eyes closed just have the mom or you can, rub your finger down the slope of their nose. This usually causes them to instinctively close their eyes. Do if a few times and they may go to sleep!
    edited January 13, 2009
    I found one more shot that I think is quite good:

454539790_tiB9b-L.jpg

Any more C&C or tips would be very welcome!

ann