Need help for photo of the year.

davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
edited January 15, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have 5 favorites that I have posted on Dgrin.
Could some of you help me decide which one to enter.

Thanks.

1)
245356320_FWEgi-XL.jpg

2)
245058013_JSLNo-XL.jpg

3)
247612297_2DDEg-XL.jpg

4)
279786906_3kGHh-XL-1.jpg

5)
279970363_CEcNH-XL-1.jpg
dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.

Comments

• jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    1 and 3 are great shots but this is dgrin so think about 5 but 3 is a capture and a great shot thumb.gif even if it is only eagles :D and you have to get them posted in the gallery that is not easy
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Wow, a really tough call! I agree with Jeff's choices. #1 is so exquisitely beautiful and one of my favorites of the year. #3, well, 2 eagles in one awesome shot! But #5 just grabs my heartstrings. iloveyou.gif
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    jwear wrote:
    and you have to get them posted in the gallery that is not easy

Thanks Jeff, but what do you mean by this?
    Don't I just send it in with my name on it?

Saurora, thanks.
    dave.

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    I see your dilemma. All 5 are outstanding! thumb.gif

#3 stands out for me. It's not often you see photos of eagles and to get TWO of them fighting over a fish is amazing. #1 stands out a close second. That morning fog and the perfectly synchronized movements of those swans are quite eye-catching. I love the lighting in #4.
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    5 beautiful shots! Very nice.

My favorites are #1 and #3. Maybe #3 gets the edge because I love brighter colors. #5 is moving, but it doesn't grab me like #3 does.

Sherry
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Man, tough choice! These are all great, Dave. I also lean toward 1 and 3, but 1 wins out for me because of the mood it evokes. 3 is a rare and fantabulous capture, but it doesn't make me pause for contemplation like 1 does.

Good luck with whichever you choose! thumb.gif
  • manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    I would pick 3 and crop it a little closer at the bottom and on the right side. It's a great shot.
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Tough choice. I love 1 and 2, and they are something I would hang on my wall.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Definitely #1 and 3. But 3's the best.

What's this "Photo of the Year" thing? A contest somewhere?
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    #1 is my vote....

are you able to smooth out the noise a little?
    Aaron Nelson
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Definitely #1 and 3. But 3's the best.

What's this "Photo of the Year" thing? A contest somewhere?

this one here
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=114340
    Aaron Nelson
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    well orchestrated images
    Immediately my choices were 1 and 3. Interesting that both shots feature two birds moving toward the same goal. In #1 they are together in harmony, in #3 (it appears) they are antagonists, in competition. For that reason #3 has more drama. Both are fantastic and inspiring captures!

Personally I like #1 because of the calming colors, graceful composition, and feeling of harmony it evokes. It's the same feeling I get when listening to music by french impressionist composer Debussy. But #3 evokes more dramatic feelings of excitement and conflict, like the clashing cymbals and angular motifs in the music of Beethoven or perhaps Wagner. Which do you prefer?
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Yep 1 and 3 for me too.
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

edited January 12, 2009
    Number 3 is your winner.

I belong to a Nature Photo Club, and that shot (eagles) won photo of the year for the club.
    Both swan shots were HM's.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    dave.

• leaheleahe Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    While I absolutely love #3 since it is just an incredible shot of eagles I think #5 has more impact. Great timing on the eagle shot!
  • presov3presov3 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 13, 2009
    1)
    245356320_FWEgi-XL.jpg

Wow, a really like #1 is so exquisitely beautiful !!!!
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Dave, these are all wonderful shots....I am just curious why you didn't include the image you had entered into the #16 challenge? You have too many great images to chose from, wish I had that problemrolleyes1.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
    edited January 13, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    Dave, these are all wonderful shots....I am just curious why you didn't include the image you had entered into the #16 challenge? You have too many great images to chose from, wish I had that problemrolleyes1.gif

I've been pretty lucky this year, and have managed to get a few good shots.
    Some people like the swans, some like the eagles, a few like "The Wall" shot.
    I didn't feel the latest swan shot was better than the other two, so I left it off the list.

I have a hard time picking between them.
    The Wall shot for the emotion, the swans for the beauty, the eagles for the action.
    I think that they all turned out well, but picking one over another without feedback is very tough.
    Through the course of the year, the eagle shot has gotten a lot of great press here, and
    on other forums.
    As I said, that shot won Photo Of The Year in our Nature Club. The "Taking Off" swan shot was an HM.

Thanks folks for all the help.
    dave.

• mycapturesmycaptures Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    I too love #1 and #3, but #3 just has that extra something. Not only is it amazing to capture 2 eagles in flight, but fighting over a fish and that fish is in mid air and clearly seen. That's a lot of wow factors. All great shots though!
    Shilowe, getting my masters in psychology,
    photographing mommy to Rayne (5) and Quinlan (baby boy) and wife to Dave.:photo
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    1 and 3 thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    All 5 shoots are simply outstanding. For me, though, the swan shots just take my breath away. I love #2 - something about it keeps me coming back to look - the #1 is drop dead gorgeous.

Virginia

Email
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    They all suck!
    :hide

well, really none of them do. I love all of themiloveyou.gif , Davev, but the swans of 1 or the emotion in 5 are thumb.gif IT.

My favorite shot, though, isn't among these - it is the one in your avatar..............
    edited January 15, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    They all suck!
    :hide

well, really none of them do. I love all of themiloveyou.gif , Davev, but the swans of 1 or the emotion in 5 are thumb.gif IT.

My favorite shot, though, isn't among these - it is the one in your avatar..............

Once again, thanks everyone.
    The 2 eagles with the fish is the shot that got entered thanks to your help.

Ann, I forgot all about the avatar shot. Oh well.
    dave.