Fire Sky

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited January 13, 2009 in Landscapes
As always, C&C welcome

Sorry about the watermark, but, you know why...

453557359_QD9FN-XL.jpg

453568168_gUkQK-XL.jpg
Randy

Comments

• clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Very cool! Looks like a battle is going on inside the cloud. Awesome shot!!clap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Dramatic and stunning especially the first one. Really nice!
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Very cool! Looks like a battle is going on inside the cloud. Awesome shot!!clap.gifclap.gif

It was a pretty dramatic sky in person.

First picture is shooting South/East, so that's reflected light in those clouds. I don't know why the clouds look like the sun is hiding behind them.

Second picture is shooting West, only 7 minutes after the first shot & about 20 yards from the first shot's location.

Thanks for looking.
    Randy
    edited January 12, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    Dramatic and stunning especially the first one. Really nice!

Thanks Eia,

glad you liked them.
    Randy
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Both shots are great Randy but #2 goes way beyond great. Love the comp in #2 and the color/exposure is excellent.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 12, 2009
    Great shots, Randy! clap.gif
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Love the skies in both. I particularly like the foreground in #1 where the lighting on the grass really brings out some nice detail. On my monitor the mountains in #1 are dark and I would like to see a little more detail there.

The sky in #2 is stunning. Some nice details showing up in the foreground.
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Both photos have beautiful and dramatic skies but I find both photos too dark overall. Maybe there's a story behind this? Is the first shot taken at night and that's the moon?

I can understand the desire to keep the detail and colors in the clouds but on my monitors, the foregrounds are all but lost.

Curious..

Steve
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Hi Randy,

I really like the first image, and your watermark doesn't intrude upon the image, so I can see and enjoy it.

When I see a huge prominent watermark, that disrupts the image, I just leave the site.

Sam
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Really like that first one with the dominant light in one place and the colors in the landscape
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Those are both great! The sky/fireball and reflection in the first is awesome, and that lone tree really ties the composition together in the second (much like the Dude's rug in the Big Lebowski really tied the room together), which also has some great lighting.
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Both are very dramatic captures really like the first. I would personally like to see the foreground luminosity bumped up a little. Very nice work

Ray Still
    edited January 12, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Both shots are great Randy but #2 goes way beyond great. Love the comp in #2 and the color/exposure is excellent.

Thanks Jack,

I like that one tree. Looks like it was the only one that showed up to watch the sunset :D
    Randy
    edited January 12, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Great shots, Randy! clap.gif

Thanks kdog
    Randy
    edited January 12, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Love the skies in both. I particularly like the foreground in #1 where the lighting on the grass really brings out some nice detail. On my monitor the mountains in #1 are dark and I would like to see a little more detail there.

The sky in #2 is stunning. Some nice details showing up in the foreground.

Tom,

I'm working kinda' blind here. Laptop with one of those shiny screens, and my monitor calibration unit is not here yet.

I think your right about the mountains in pic #1. If my screen is tilted forward just a little, it lightens it up those mountains. That's probably what got me on that edit.

Thanks for the comments.
    Randy
    edited January 12, 2009
    scole wrote:
    Both photos have beautiful and dramatic skies but I find both photos too dark overall. Maybe there's a story behind this? Is the first shot taken at night and that's the moon?

I can understand the desire to keep the detail and colors in the clouds but on my monitors, the foregrounds are all but lost.

Curious..

Steve

Steve,

Right now I'm editing on a laptop that is very sensitive to screen position and perceived brightness, but, I think others can see the foreground detail, hence they have mentioned such in their post. Although I do believe the mountains in pic #1 to be too dark.

The overall light level shown is about what I saw when I took these, especially pic #2. Looks just like I remember it when I pushed the shutter button.

Thanks for your comments.
    Randy
    edited January 12, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Hi Randy,

I really like the first image, and your watermark doesn't intrude upon the image, so I can see and enjoy it.

When I see a huge prominent watermark, that disrupts the image, I just leave the site.

Sam

Sam,

I hear you on the watermarks. That's why I try to keep them as unobtrusive as possible, yet still retain some usefullness.

I appreciate your input.
    Randy
    edited January 13, 2009
    Shootin1st wrote:
    Really like that first one with the dominant light in one place and the colors in the landscape

Thank you.

Funny thing, that light in the clouds was reflected, the sun wasn't behind it. The shot was toward the SE. The second shot was taken about 20' from the first, 7 minutes later, and pointing west.
    Randy
    edited January 13, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Those are both great! The sky/fireball and reflection in the first is awesome, and that lone tree really ties the composition together in the second (much like the Dude's rug in the Big Lebowski really tied the room together), which also has some great lighting.

Thanks Ron,

Yeah, that little tree does it for me also. It reminds me of going to a drive-in movie, any your the only one there to watch the show. (as in the tree watching the sunset)

Oops...I think I might have just shown my age rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited January 13, 2009
    Both are very dramatic captures really like the first. I would personally like to see the foreground luminosity bumped up a little. Very nice work

Ray Still

Yeah, I'm with ya' on that one Ray. My laptop screen got me on this one, but only on the mountains in the first pic.

Thanks for the input.
    Randy
  • travellerbugtravellerbug Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Wow! Fantastic shots! The colors are absolutely incredible. Great job:D
    edited January 13, 2009
    Wow! Fantastic shots! The colors are absolutely incredible. Great job:D

Thanks travellbug,

I lived in Georgia for 5 years. You've got some great scenery there. Where's the pics? Better get posting...
    Randy