Huge fan of B&H and Adorama

TeddifishTeddifish Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited January 13, 2009 in Cameras
. . . but I'm having problems finding old Minolta glass. With the release of the Alpha 900, prices, when you can find a decent lens, have gone through the roof on ebay, and I can't find any of the desirable lenses at B&H, Adorama, or even KEH (which used to have more.)

Anyone know of any places that carry a decent amount of Minolta AF lenses?

:scratch :dunno :scratch
Sony A200, 20mm F2.8; 35 - 70 F4; 50mm F1.7; 28-135 F4; 24-70 f2.8z (and a backache)

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 12, 2009
    I started a new thread with this post.

I think what happened with Minolta lenses is that Sony took a while to ramp up production on the Sony branded lenses and that caused both Sony dSLR and Minolta dSLR owners to scramble for existing resources of compatible lenses. As a result there is a real shortage of older Minolta branded lenses and that drove the prices up.

If you cannot do with third-party lenses, some of which are very good, then you need to keep your eyes open to searching "everywhere". Use Google to search at regular intervals for specific lenses you might be interested in.

KEH is still about the best I've seen for regularly spotting the more common lenses.

Dyxum has a buy/sell forum:

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_topics.asp?FID=7
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif
    2nd on KEH. That's where I get all of my minolta glass. I've found some great deal there on "Bargain" quality lenses that are banged up but in ways that have no effect on IQ.

I also peruse the dyxum forums almost daily, but since many of the users are overseas it can be difficult to find a good deal on lenses (though that is where I got my A700).
  • sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    hmmmm, as I get some of my new lenses, I might, just might let go of some of my minolta stuff.

I was going to order a lens today for one of my new cameras and it is on backorder.

I also noticed the prices on the stuff on ebay, even old minolta, wow! I am lucky to have the stuff that I do and I know that now.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
    edited January 13, 2009
    hmmmm, as I get some of my new lenses, I might, just might let go of some of my minolta stuff.

I was going to order a lens today for one of my new cameras and it is on backorder.

I also noticed the prices on the stuff on ebay, even old minolta, wow! I am lucky to have the stuff that I do and I know that now.

Well what goodies have you got? Do tell!
    ear.gif
    edited January 13, 2009
    I don't have any of the huge expensive lenses. If I did, they wouldn't be going anywhere. I have a few maxxum bodies and many lenses and accessories for all of it. IF I was selling, then I would list it, but till then, it's still mine. :D
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
  • hiroProtagonisthiroProtagonist Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Teddifish wrote:
    . . . but I'm having problems finding old Minolta glass. With the release of the Alpha 900, prices, when you can find a decent lens, have gone through the roof on ebay, and I can't find any of the desirable lenses at B&H, Adorama, or even KEH (which used to have more.)

Anyone know of any places that carry a decent amount of Minolta AF lenses?

headscratch.gifne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif
    Not sure if this would be of any interest, I haven't shot Minolta since my filf days so I don't even know if it would work. Did Minolta keep the same mount when they went digital? Anyhow I have a 7xi with the kit lens, AF28-105 f 3.4 - 4.5, and a flash looking for a good home. PM me if your interested.
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
    edited January 13, 2009
    Not sure if this would be of any interest, I haven't shot Minolta since my filf days so I don't even know if it would work. Did Minolta keep the same mount when they went digital? Anyhow I have a 7xi with the kit lens, AF28-105 f 3.4 - 4.5, and a flash looking for a good home. PM me if your interested.

Yes, the mount is the same and that lens will work on any of the Sony DSLRs. I happen to have that lens and it's an excellent walk-around (though I wish it was a bit wider on the crop sensor). Very nice colors from it and it's pretty fast (on my A700). If you listed it on Dyxum or perhaps the forums here, it would sell.
    edited January 13, 2009
    I don't have any of the huge expensive lenses. If I did, they wouldn't be going anywhere. I have a few maxxum bodies and many lenses and accessories for all of it. IF I was selling, then I would list it, but till then, it's still mine. :D

Ha ha! Good for you!

I'm not in the market for any of the expensive stuff. I'm looking for a wide, fast prime and something to use for macro. If you ever decide to let your stuff go make sure I see the post! thumb.gif
    edited January 13, 2009
    You would be the first to know. I really like my 50mm f1.7 lens on the new cameras and so glad I still have it. It was my first ever lens from my first SLR that I got back in 1987 and still like new. Gotta love it.

The only disappointment was some of the things that I loved on my 35mm film cameras do not necessarily communicate properly with the new cameras, but I had enough stuff that did work perfectly fine that it wasn't too bad.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    edited January 13, 2009
    Yeah, the "nifty-fifty" has become one of my favorites as well. It's great for planned portraits indoors but just a bit too tele for the more candid type shots in my house. That's why I'm looking for something in the 20 or 28 length at a similar f-stop.
    edited January 13, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    Yeah, the "nifty-fifty" has become one of my favorites as well. It's great for planned portraits indoors but just a bit too tele for the more candid type shots in my house. That's why I'm looking for something in the 20 or 28 length at a similar f-stop.

Yeah, I would like a wider lens too. Eventually..... when I don't need the fast lens, the one that came with my camera is pretty good.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug