Options

Resize on import in Lightroom?

wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
edited January 20, 2009 in Finishing School
I am sure everyone does this redundant work of resizing their pictures for upload/email etc at some point.

I would like to have this be an automatic process when I import pix in Lightroom. It just creates copies of "smaller" versions and puts in a sub-folder: "smalls" or something.

THis way I can just upload that right away or email that right away without going through the extra steps.

Is this possible in Lightroom? Or is any other software has this feature? :scratch
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
WildViper
From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead

Comments

• Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    LR allow us to copy the pictures to two disks in only one operation, simultaneously. thumb.gif
    That's great.:D

Excuse me but I see no reason to import the photos in a smaller size.
    Can you please explain me what for ?

But, if you insist on that procedure I can sugest you Mogrify.
    However, the procedure is only after importing the photos.

With it you will be able to do what you wish in a very easy way. mwink.gif
    You can even customize how you want your smaller files.
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    LR allow us to copy the pictures to two disks in only one operation, simultaneously. thumb.gif
    That's great.:D

Excuse me but I see no reason to import the photos in a smaller size.
    Can you please explain me what for ?

But, if you insist on that procedure I can sugest you Mogrify.
    However, the procedure is only after importing the photos.

With it you will be able to do what you wish in a very easy way. mwink.gif
    You can even customize how you want your smaller files.

My family takes pictures on their compacts and all they are interested in is importing and emailing pictures. Now everytime they email, the email sizes get huge. Sometimes they attach 2 different pictures or 3...you can imagine the email system then. ALso, a lot of the audience is usually in countries where broadband is not available and is the slow download speeds.

While they are not very computer savvy, all they want to do is this simple task. That is why if I could do this at import stage, then they know to just import and go to the "small" folder.

is that clear now?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    There is no way to do it on import, but if you are dealing with JPEGs and have no intention of post-processing them, you could import the batch, then immediately export smaller versions using the built-in export resizing or use the LR/Mogrify plug-in for more options and control. It's really not that labor or time intensive. You can also have the newly sized versions saved with the originals for easier organization.

I've seen people doing tasks like this in ImageMagick, which LR/Mogrify incorporates, but it seems to be more of a hassle to me. I've also done something crude with Applescript. I can probably dig up that code and send it to you if your an OSX user.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    PittspilotPittspilot Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    wildviper wrote:
    I am sure everyone does this redundant work of resizing their pictures for upload/email etc at some point.

I would like to have this be an automatic process when I import pix in Lightroom. It just creates copies of "smaller" versions and puts in a sub-folder: "smalls" or something.

THis way I can just upload that right away or email that right away without going through the extra steps.

Is this possible in Lightroom? Or is any other software has this feature? headscratch.gif

You don't get to do that :-))

LR imports the photos at the resolution / size taken. You CAN change the size when you export (remember that all changes / edits are 'baked' only upon output from LR), try using export presets for each size/resolution/medium you want to export for.

Cheers