Options

Nikon picture control and lightroom profiles

OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
edited January 17, 2009 in Finishing School
Dumb question?

Having the ability to use nikon profiles (landscape, neutral, etc) in lightroom, does that mean I shound not adjust or use those settings in lightroom?

Or am I missing the point entirely?

Cheers

Ryan
Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]

Comments

• Options
    hiroProtagonisthiroProtagonist Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    Oakley wrote:
    Dumb question?

Having the ability to use nikon profiles (landscape, neutral, etc) in lightroom, does that mean I shound not adjust or use those settings in lightroom?

Or am I missing the point entirely?

Cheers

Ryan
    I may not be reading the question correctly but I'll give it a shot anyway.
    The profiles are really intended as a jumping off point and are intended to mimick the results you would get using Nikon Picture Controls in CaptureNX2. To the best of my knowledge only CaptureNX can actualy read the Picture Control data embeded in the NEF. LR attempts to give you similar results through presets. Wichever way you go the settings are in no way baked in. If you don't like the results feel free to make adjustments.
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    Oakley wrote:
    Dumb question?

The Nikon profiles in Lightroom/ACR are proprietary and will only work (currently) with those products or products that support DNG and profiles as defined in the free SDK from Adobe. So you can't use them in a Nikon product. What the profiles try to do, is mimic the JPEG you'd get from a Raw using the similarly named picture styles. At least they should get you in the ballpark whereby you can further refine the rendering with the sliders provided in Develop module. You can select a profile in LR image by image or you can make it a default for all importation from that camera serial number (even down to using some based on a specific ISO).

The profiles loaded for the image take place at a different part of the processing engine then these sliders (they apply a base rendering using 3D matrix LUTs, then you have the sliders above to move from that rendering point forward). So no, you are not restricted from loading a profile, even building your own in the DNG Profile Editor, then altering some or all the sliders to taste.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/