Options

Oops! (ring shot)

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited January 16, 2009 in Weddings
I am looking into different macro solutions for ring and detail shots....since I sold my Tamron 28-75 "almost macro".

I tried this yesterday.....

It was taken with my 85mm F1.8 AND an old 50mm F1.4 Pentax manual focus lense mounted together on the 50D. It didn't work. :rofl

The DOF was only a few millimeters, and my wife's wedding rings....pictured.....wouldn't even fit into the viewfinder in their entirety.

I am probably going to end up either using a macro extension tube, or a screw in diopter for the 85mm or the 50mm F1.4 that I plan to purchase soon.

454194137_4zJJ6-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    I'd love to see a photo of your setup, and a slightly more detailed explanation of how you did it. (as well as your planned attempts).

I just have trouble bringing myself to buy a 700 dollar lens for one shot per gig (especially given that my 24-70 f/2.8 does a really good job anyway... just doesn't give me that 'fill the frame' ability)
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Jeff...I made or should say purchased an older FD lens...50mm. Bought a camera cap (the one that goes on the front of the camera of course), drilled all the way around the interior and cut that out. Took a a 55mm UV filter, broke the glass out of it (carefully as that stuff shatters all over) then glued the filter with threads to the camera cap. Now it will screw on the 50mm. The lens when attached to camera is reversed. You can now manually adjust the aperture ring and move in or out (as there is no auto focus). The magnification is crazy but really fun! The DOF is very shallow as well.

It may be a bit too shallow as a diamond would become unrecognizable but you could get some incredible specular highlights and colors!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Why not a macro lens itself?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Jeff...I made or should say purchased an older FD lens...50mm. Bought a camera cap (the one that goes on the front of the camera of course), drilled all the way around the interior and cut that out. Took a a 55mm UV filter, broke the glass out of it (carefully as that stuff shatters all over) then glued the filter with threads to the camera cap. Now it will screw on the 50mm. The lens when attached to camera is reversed. You can now manually adjust the aperture ring and move in or out (as there is no auto focus). The magnification is crazy but really fun! The DOF is very shallow as well.

It may be a bit too shallow as a diamond would become unrecognizable but you could get some incredible specular highlights and colors!

Swartzy, you should have gotten one of these instead of doing all that work.

http://stores.ebay.com/Photo-xpo_Macro-rings-adapters_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ11200713QQftidZ2QQtZkm
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    True Dave....I was simply impatient as no one in town had any, so just figured on making one (I'm kind of a shop junkie ya know...Laughing.gif)
    davev wrote:
    Swartzy, you should have gotten one of these instead of doing all that work.

http://stores.ebay.com/Photo-xpo_Macro-rings-adapters_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ11200713QQftidZ2QQtZkm
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    You know, a while back it was suggested I try this with an old enlarger lens I have - can you (or anybody) explain exactly how one goes about using it? I'm guessing you use the screw ring to attach one end to the front of the "extra" lens, and then screw that into the filter mount of the "real" lens...?

Thanks for elaborating on this (or if there's a link/thread/whatever somewhere else, pointing towards that :)

Jeff, that is QUITE the magnification there lol Considering insurance photography as a sideline?! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    I simply "held" the 50mm Pentax lens reversed in front of the 85mm Canon lens.

I am going to splurge on the $7 threaded 58mm to 49mm adapter from Adorama so I don't have to hold the thing. It won't work for a ring shot, but would be awesome for bugs...etc.

Why not a dedicated macro lens?

I guess because I don't do enough "macro" work to justify spending that money on a lens with a focal length that would be duplicated by some other lens I already own. I have a few thousand dollars invested in glass.....good glass.....all I need to do is make that glass focus closer now and then.

I am going to get the Kenko macro tube set and be done with it. I can't wait to stack all three of them under my 70-200.....rolleyes1.gif ......that ought to be interesting!
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    You know, a while back it was suggested I try this with an old enlarger lens I have - can you (or anybody) explain exactly how one goes about using it? I'm guessing you use the screw ring to attach one end to the front of the "extra" lens, and then screw that into the filter mount of the "real" lens...?

Thanks for elaborating on this (or if there's a link/thread/whatever somewhere else, pointing towards that :)

Jeff, that is QUITE the magnification there lol Considering insurance photography as a sideline?! rolleyes1.gif

Not sure about the enlarger lens.....you just mount a 50mm prime in reverse utilizing the filter threads of both lenses and an adapter for what I did.

454322793_syMnH-L.jpg

This was the second wedding set I gave her. She recieved this a year ago for Christmas from me....as I had tuned into the fact that she now prefers to wear silver or white gold rather than yellow gold jewelry.

It has been appraised. If I remember right, they used a special set up on a scanner.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited January 13, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    ... I am going to get the Kenko macro tube set and be done with it. I can't wait to stack all three of them under my 70-200.....rolleyes1.gif ......that ought to be interesting!

I think you will find that extension tubes work best with primes. Many, if not most, zooms are designed to focus at a fixed distance to the film plane. The problem is that of "convergence".

For the Canon 70-200mm "L" lenses I strongly recommend the use of the Canon 500D diopters. I use a 77mm sized 500D on the f2.8 and an adapter ring to use the same diopter on the f4 version of that zoom.

Quality can be awfully good as our own Dalantech has shown:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dalantech/708248681/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I think you will find that extension tubes work best with primes. Many, if not most, zooms are designed to focus at a fixed distance to the film plane. The problem is that of "convergence".

For the Canon 70-200mm "L" lenses I strongly recommend the use of the Canon 500D diopters. I use a 77mm sized 500D on the f2.8 and an adapter ring to use the same diopter on the f4 version of that zoom.

Quality can be awfully good as our own Dalantech has shown:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dalantech/708248681/

My primary use will be on the 50mm or 85mm prime.......but you know.....having those parts in the bag....plus the zoom......Im sure curiousity will get the better of me!mwink.gif
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Not sure about the enlarger lens.....you just mount a 50mm prime in reverse utilizing the filter threads of both lenses and an adapter for what I did.

454322793_syMnH-L.jpg

This was the second wedding set I gave her. She recieved this a year ago for Christmas from me....as I had tuned into the fact that she now prefers to wear silver or white gold rather than yellow gold jewelry.

It has been appraised. If I remember right, they used a special set up on a scanner.

I really like this three picture composition ("tryptic"?) Do you just free hand this in PS or do you have a template? If template, what was your source?

Every time I try and free hand these they come out uneven. If there is a trick, I would love to learn it.

Very nice shot by the way, fun to see all the experimentation.

Z

It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    Zanotti wrote:
    Every time I try and free hand these they come out uneven. If there is a trick, I would love to learn it.

Pull a guide line and snap to it to get things to line up.

You can also make 3 separate, expand the canvas behind them, then lay them together (snap), etc.... lots of options.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2009
    Zanotti wrote:
    I really like this three picture composition ("tryptic"?) Do you just free hand this in PS or do you have a template? If template, what was your source?

Very nice shot by the way, fun to see all the experimentation.

Z

This one was freehand....and I actually cropped the three photos from a 10 picture composite for this thread.

I do comosites all the time for my blog, and now and then do story board type groupings for print. The best approach is to use the guides and rulers. Find the centers for where you want the center of each photo and place a guide. Then measure over 1/2 the width of the photos and place another guide for each shot and use the snap to feature so the photos "stick" to the guides. Do the same thing both vertically and horizontally.

Its a PITA the first time pr two if you have never used the guides, but is quick work from then on.