Options

Thumbnail Problems In Bridge

Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
edited January 14, 2009 in Finishing School
I had to install my Photoshop CS3 on a different computer recently and now Bridge will not make thumbnails for my CR2 files. I do have the most recent version of the Camera Raw Plugin installed. I have sat there for two days now trying to figure this out...grrrrrrrrrr.

Any ideas out here?
"Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 13, 2009
    Karrie McD wrote:
    I had to install my Photoshop CS3 on a different computer recently and now Bridge will not make thumbnails for my CR2 files. I do have the most recent version of the Camera Raw Plugin installed. I have sat there for two days now trying to figure this out...grrrrrrrrrr.

Any ideas out here?

Try deleting the cache (Preferences->Cache->Purge Cache), then restarting Bridge. Sometimes this clears mysterious problems. ne_nau.gif

Question: are you running the same operating system on both machines (Vista, XP, OS-X)?
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Try deleting the cache (Preferences->Cache->Purge Cache), then restarting Bridge. Sometimes this clears mysterious problems. ne_nau.gif

Question: are you running the same operating system on both machines (Vista, XP, OS-X)?

Thanks so much Richard. But, I have tried deleting the cache...many times. It doesn't help though. And, no, it is not the same operating systems. I was using Vista and now I'm on XP.

Maybe something with this?

I dumped coffee on my laptop which is what I was using. Laptop is getting sent to the service center so I have been switching everything over to our desk top. Lap top was vista -desk top is XP.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    Karrie McD wrote:
    Thanks so much Richard. But, I have tried deleting the cache...many times. It doesn't help though. And, no, it is not the same operating systems. I was using Vista and now I'm on XP.

Maybe something with this?

I dumped coffee on my laptop which is what I was using. Laptop is getting sent to the service center so I have been switching everything over to our desk top. Lap top was vista -desk top is XP.

Bummer. I hate it when that happens.

OK...when you say no thumbs do you mean within Bridge itself or in Windows Explorer folders? The basic XP does not display thumbs of CR2 files, though there is a product you can download from Microsoft that will do so. But you should be able to see CR2 thumbs within Bridge. What does it show?
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Bummer. I hate it when that happens.

OK...when you say no thumbs do you mean within Bridge itself or in Windows Explorer folders? The basic XP does not display thumbs of CR2 files, though there is a product you can download from Microsoft that will do so. But you should be able to see CR2 thumbs within Bridge. What does it show?

Nope, no thumbs within Bridge. It just shows the generic CR2 picture thingy
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    Karrie McD wrote:
    Nope, no thumbs within Bridge. It just shows the generic CR2 picture thingy
    headscratch.gif OK, I'm all out of tricks here. Hopefully a heavier hitter will step in with the answer. In the meantime, you might search the Adobe Bridge Forum for an answer. Better still, just register (free) and post a question--stuff can be hard to find there, but I have generally gotten accurate and timely responses to my questions. Let us know if you get the answer.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Things to try:
    • make sure you don't shoot "small raws". While they have the same .CR2 extension Adobe software traditionally has problem with them
    • make sure .CR2 files are only registered with PS/Bridge, and not with smth else (try Open With dialog to get a quick idea)
    • launch Bridge with Ctrl key depressed and confirm clearing thumbnail cache
    • try Canon (provided) software (e.g. zoombrowser) and see it it works OK. If not, I suggest reinstalling both Canon and Adobe software
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    I'm assuming Bridge CS3 along with Photoshop CS3.

When you click on the file in Bridge, look at the Metadata display on the right (if Keywords is displayed, select the tab for Metadata). What are the values of the following:

Filename
    Document Type
    Application

It may be that the binding is incorrect somehow.
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    A screenshot of the Bridge might be helpful, also.
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2009
    I spent the day yesterday downloading all the updates for CS3. The desk top is not connected to the internet so I downloaded from hubby's laptop and then put files on desk top. (It took me all day because we live out in BFE and do not have high speed) Any how, now, I can't even open photoshop and bridge shuts down as soon as I try to click on something. So, I'm going to take everything off and reinstall... Once I am able to at least look at the programs again I will get back to yous.... ohh so fun
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Karrie McD wrote:
    BFE

wings.gifNear the Nile River?

To quote Bill Clinton, "I feel your pain"

Good luck.:D
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gif

After a frustrating 4 days I have finally resolved my problems. When installing updates one should read the readme file and follow directions correctly. Now that I decided to do that everything works as it should. Thank you for all your input. iloveyou.gif I am a dingledork. ne_nau.gif I put the Camera Raw Plugin in the wrong place. It was working within Photoshop so I thought it was right...thats what I get for thinking on my own rolleyes1.gif J.K.

I sure do feel good now that it is all fixed though.