Options

35 f/2 or 50 f/1.4 on 50D

jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
edited January 17, 2009 in Cameras
I have a friend who is looking at either the 35 f/2 or the 50 f/1.4 for use on a 50D. The 35 f/1.4 L and 50 f/1.2 L are not options due to budgetary concerns. He wants the option of shooting wide open, but I believe more often than not either solution will be used in the f/5.6 -f/8 range. It will be used in non-flash situations, but with a lot of sunlight available.

He has tested my 50 f/1.8 and 35L. He was not unhappy with the 50 f/1.8, but was hoping the 50 f/1.4 would be better. And the 35L is way out of the picture for this year.
"Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
-Fleetwood Mac

Comments

• Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    There's a nice article in the latest Pop Photo about 50mm 1.4's. They get high marks for versatility.

I recently purchased one, and used it for some higher shutter speed/lower ISO ability without flash at an indoor go-kart track. Here's an example of a no-flash indoor shot at 1/200 shutter and 500 ISO. This picture is cropped from the original.
    451545230_GbUMk-L-1.jpg

I know its not an outstanding pic, but given the available indoor lighting, I was very pleased with the results from a 1.4 lens.

IMHO, if versatility is desired, the 50mm 1.4 gets a high grade. I would consider the 35mm only if I needed the wider view.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    50 is great but for crop...
    The 50 is a great lens for just the kind of images above. When I was shooting with the crop bodies though, I liked the wider lens. Actually on full frame the 50 is equal to the 35 on a crop..The 50 seems more popular, but, it could be too long depending on how the shooter is using it.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited January 13, 2009
    The difference between f1.4 and f2 is a full stop. You said that your friend will be using the lens wide open but with plenty of sunlight available? I can only imagine that means they are looking for the best bokeh or control over DOF?

It would be best if we could discuss with your friend what they want to achieve in terms of this new lens. What applications?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The difference between f1.4 and f2 is a full stop. You said that your friend will be using the lens wide open but with plenty of sunlight available? I can only imagine that means they are looking for the best bokeh or control over DOF?

It would be best if we could discuss with your friend what they want to achieve in terms of this new lens. What applications?

Ziggy -
    Stationary product shots. Actually they want the option of full open, mainly to control DOF, but I believe it will be primarily in the range of f/5.6 , about 10-12 feet away, but without a tripod.

Overall sharpness would be key. The 35 has an AFD motor, the 50 USM. He has looked at a range of lenses and narrowed it down to these 2 (or similar 3rd party). FOV is already been considered. I am just seeing if anyone at Dgrin has used both of these and had a strong preference for one over the other.

Hope that helps :D
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited January 13, 2009
    Neither of these lenses has a reputation for solid performance wide open. I suggest that the 50mm, f1.4 USM would probably have an edge at f2. I do believe that AF accuracy would also be better with the USM.

For a visual comparison:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=115&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0&LensComp=122&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLI=0&API=3
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    The 50/1.4 is soft wide open but it gets sharp quickly as you stop down. I find it to be acceptable by f/1.8, good at f/2 and razor sharp at f/2.8. I don't have any experience with the 35/2, but I'll bet that the 50/1.4 is sharper in the f/2 to f/2.8 range.
  • Options
    ScottoScotto Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Another vote for the 50mm f1.4, I have owned this lens a little over 3 weeks and it hasn't been off the camera yet

All of these where taken on a 40D with the 50mm f1.4

443762912_qZbZs-L.jpg

452856539_LFwbv-L.jpg

443763028_zgV8m-L.jpg

449408955_rdwJT-L.jpg
    My SmugMug | Follow me on Twitter | iChat: ScottMacUser
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    According to the majority of reviews, the 50mm will be sharper overall, and extremely sharp stopped down. It will also give considerably more DOF control, a more pleasing telephoto perspective for portraits, and better AF. Not that the 35 is a bad lens for crop, it is wider which makes it suitable for more subjects, but a 50mm is a much easier lens to design than a 35, and it shows.

For a fixed, product photo setup I'd make sure that the field of view is not too small for the room, and assuming there's enough space go for the 50mm
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    LiquidAir wrote:
    The 50/1.4 is soft wide open but it gets sharp quickly as you stop down. I find it to be acceptable by f/1.8, good at f/2 and razor sharp at f/2.8. I don't have any experience with the 35/2, but I'll bet that the 50/1.4 is sharper in the f/2 to f/2.8 range.

I agree. I own both and for me the 35/2 is soft at all apertures.
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    I have an unhealthy love affair with my 50/1.4. It's worth every last penny. My only gripe is it's too tight for shooting around the house, where f/1.8 and f/2 come in handy for normal house lighting.

In short...thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif for the 50/1.4.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen