Options

The multi-hour gap

pokerpoker Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited January 22, 2009 in Weddings
How do you handle the big time gaps between the wedding and reception assuming it was agreed that no photgraphy would be arranged in between?

I had a client bargain with me believing that my estimate should be less due to the 4 hour gap between the wedding and reception. They didn't need me to take pictures in between.

Probably part of the problem was that I approached them in a per hour basis for labor and prints were on a separate cost. I did not follow the traditional "package" format.

I hope I'm allowed to post a business question here :dunno
I like photos especially ones shot by Canons. I'm just another fanboy :ivar

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    poker wrote:
    How do you handle the big time gaps between the wedding and reception assuming it was agreed that no photgraphy would be arranged in between?

I had a client bargain with me believing that my estimate should be less due to the 4 hour gap between the wedding and reception. They didn't need me to take pictures in between.

Probably part of the problem was that I approached them in a per hour basis for labor and prints were on a separate cost. I did not follow the traditional "package" format.

I hope I'm allowed to post a business question here ne_nau.gif

I estimate time based on when they need me to STOP taking photos for the day, and backtime it to when I need to begin. I don't negotiate for time in between, due to the opportunity cost rule... If I am booked to shoot their wedding, I can't book another. YMMV.

Another way to avoid this when you're charging hourly is to have a minimum hour coverage...like a 6 hour block. That helps avoid the nickel-and-dime approach.

I also am curious if there is truly a four hour break. Most dinners are served about four hours after the ceremony starts, but between the ceremony itself, receiveing line, teardown/pack/setup, family shots, travel to and from, and getting to the reception venue to take cake/detail/candids before the grand entrance...leaves about a 5 minute restroom breakrolleyes1.gif.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    I estimate time based on when they need me to STOP taking photos for the day, and backtime it to when I need to begin. I don't negotiate for time in between, due to the opportunity cost rule... If I am booked to shoot their wedding, I can't book another. YMMV.

Another way to avoid this when you're charging hourly is to have a minimum hour coverage...like a 6 hour block. That helps avoid the nickel-and-dime approach.

I also am doubtful there is truly a four hour break. Most dinners are served about four hours after the ceremony starts, but between the ceremony itself, receiveing line, teardown/pack/setup, family shots, travel to and from, and getting to the reception venue to take cake/detail/candids before the grand entrance...leaves about a 5 minute restroom breakrolleyes1.gif.

Laughing.gif thanks. I need to re-evaluate me my pricing structure :)
  • Options
    bob swansonbob swanson Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    eek7.gif I have an hourly rate that is usually reserved for my assisants to keep them busy. If I'm not busy that day then I'll do it. My hourly rate includes travel time and also any delays not caused by me. If there is a big time frame in between than they pay my hourly rate. This does as least one of two things. They find another photographer that will put up with that (and there are many) or they pay my hourly rate while I wait. You can be flexible with this but that's a long wait. With the economy the way it has been for the last couple of years there are many that will put up with it. These are the times we're living in. I've found brides that don't really care until they look at the pictures afterwards and that's when they go ballistic.
    My minimum hourly coverage is 2 hours and then the hours are tacked on more reasonably. I have just charged them as if it were 2 of my minimum rates. If they want me they'll do it. I've had about 27 years experience in my area and today that means very little. Goooooood luck!! bsvirginianthumb.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    I bill by the hour. The number of hours is computed much like urbanaries - when do they want me to stop? When do they want me to start? The number of hours billed is the difference. If they choose to "waste" time in themiddle - well that's fine. I'm still at their disposal and can't book other work.

I did have one bride try to nickle and dime me much like your client. Needless to say, we didn't sign:D
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    I offer packages with 6 hours or all day coverage. It's not a huge difference in price and usually encourages them to go with all day coverage. I've never had questions about pricing around gaps in time... when we have gaps in time though I usually go and get lunch as it's generally been between getting hair done at salon and the pre-ceremony photos. For the rare weddings that require less than 6 hours from start to finish, I discuss and price those on a case by case basic. I also account for time driving too when looking at those special cases. If you have a 4 hour wedding but I'm driving over an hour one way to get there, chances are you'll still be at a 6 hour cost.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2009
    Thanks for sharing your opinions and methods. I was on a long break from wedding photography and this was my first job after starting back again.

What eventually happened was that I did adjust my price just a by a little and they signed with me. The multi hour gap became even longer since their guest arrived very late. I actually felt bad for them but they made the most of it. They had at least 3-4 empty paid dinner tables :(
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Well, you are delivering about 500 images... your average shuter speed was 1/100... so you really only worked for like 5 seconds. I'll be generous and pay you for a full 10 minutes. mwink.gif
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    I have had too many nickel and dimers....last year I adjusted my packages to include different parts of the day getting ready, reception, etc etc....if you want all, or some, it's a different price....These things take different amounts of time for different people and the last thing that I want is a bride to be watching her watch to make sure she doesn't go over the time she wanted to...you end up rushed and when that happens, well the end result is never the same...and they don't enjoy the day!!

This has really helped brides be sure they get the coverage they want without worrying about the coverage and timing. Up until now I've worked with brides without wedding planners and it always ends up that they can have an idea of how they want the day to go, but it never plays out the way it does on paper!:D
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    cdonovan wrote:
    I have had too many nickel and dimers....last year I adjusted my packages to include different parts of the day getting ready, reception, etc etc....if you want all, or some, it's a different price....These things take different amounts of time for different people and the last thing that I want is a bride to be watching her watch to make sure she doesn't go over the time she wanted to...you end up rushed and when that happens, well the end result is never the same...and they don't enjoy the day!!
    I like this concept. I'm going to take a look at that to see if it makes sense for me - if you don't mind that is.
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    I like this concept. I'm going to take a look at that to see if it makes sense for me - if you don't mind that is.
    :D Don't mind at all!thumb.gif
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    I typically do not enforce a time restriction. We are hired for the wedding and we shoot the whole thing.
    I am considering adding something for those EXTRA hours...you know the ones where everything is basically over and they want you to sit and wait to take one more shot, that special shot, that never happens........

During the multi hour break I go have lunch or leave and take a break somewhere or just go home for a few hours...no problem.