The Famous " Thomas Flyer "

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited January 18, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
In 1908, this car participated in what was billed as an " around the world " auto race. It has been left in the same condition it was in at the end of the race. Note interesting aspects, such as spare innertubes hanging off the back.

Tom

264701143_3hyBu-XL.jpg

264701953_LkYwy-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Hi Tom........I Googled it, the Flyer covered over 22,000 miles and crossed the Bearing Straits when it was frozen, on their way to Paris.

A nice picture of a car with a really interesting history.thumb.gif

azzaro
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Definitely a cool shot.

thumb.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Beautiful, Tom! I remember seeing old black and white photos of tyhis car in books.

Great captures! thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    I saw the Thomas Flyer years ago in the old Harrah's Museum in Reno. I think it's great that over the decades the custodians of the car have been willing to leave it as-is rather than clean it up. Nice photo too, Tom!

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Interesting!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Lovely patina!! mwink.gif

Where was the car show?
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Howdy Tom,

Another great job, wonderful detail and composition.

Really neat seeing this
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Hi Azzaro,

I also read up on the history of that race. Pretty fascinating story for sure. Thanks for looking in.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited January 14, 2009
    Hey Shootin1st....

Thanks for the comment.

Tom
    edited January 14, 2009
    Hi Lee,

This car was really interesting. I spent a good amount of time going over it closely. Taking out on a trip like that in this vehicle took some big .....you know what. Thanks for the comment.

Tom
    edited January 14, 2009
    Hi Doug,

Thanks for the kind remark. Like you, I'm pleased the owners of this car have, through the past decades, elected to leave it in its current condition. It makes for a much more interesting exhibit.

Tom
    edited January 14, 2009
    Hi Jeff,

I appreciate you looking in.

Tom
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Hi Tom
    Another nice one and very unique to boot. Remember those little patch kits? A tin can with a few patches, rubber cement, and a scuffer top to roughen up the tube before applying the patch. Such were the good old days :D

Be well

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited January 15, 2009
    aj986s....

Thanks for looking in. The car show was in the Jacksonville, FL area.

Tom
    edited January 15, 2009
    Hi Craig,

Good to hear from you. This show was full of unique and different cars....none moreso than the Thomas Flyer however.

Take care.

Tom
    edited January 15, 2009
    Hey Jack,

Boy, you do speak of things that bring back memories. When all we had to get around on was a bicycle, you got to be real good friends with your tire patch kit. I remember my dad putting together a pouch with the kit and a small pump that he attached to my bike so I could deal with flats while out away from home....saved my butt on several occasions.

Tom
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    Inner-tubes. Wow. I had forgotten that we ever put them in tires. Not to date myself, but when I was growing up...all cars had inner-tubes in the tires...at least early on. I'm not that old.

Nice photograph. 1922. My dad was born in 1901. I'm sure he thought something like this fine auto was the cat's meow. Thanks for sharing
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited January 18, 2009
    Hi Ed,

Yea, I remember when tubes were the order of the day for just about all tires. Thanks for looking in.

Tom