Options

Hosting question

bsharpbsharp Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited February 5, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I know there are no stupid questions, so does that mean I'm stupid if I ask one?

Before I joined SmugMug, I built my own web page, and had it hosted by StartLogic.com. Now that I have my website on SmugMug, do I still need to have StartLogic host my domain, or does Smugmug offer hosting services? If so, do they offer email accounts, and where can I find out more about what they offer. I would like to eliminate Startlogic rom the picture and only deal with Smugmug. Ist that possible?

Thanks,
Brad Sharp
bradsharp.smugmug.com
bsharpphotography.com (not working because Startlogic messed it up)

Comments

• Options
    Ryan ArmbrustRyan Armbrust Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Hey Brad,

Smugmug hosts your website and all your pics for you. If you are wanting to keep a nifty domain name you will have to register your domain name in order to use it. I will find some info to link to here for you, give me just a second.
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    I use godaddy and have been happy with them
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    Ryan ArmbrustRyan Armbrust Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Home

I also use GoDaddy for my domains. No problems what so ever.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Home

I also use GoDaddy for my domains. No problems what so ever.

Startlogic registered my domain name for me, but that doesn't mean I have to use them. All I need to know is if I cancel my account with them, is there anything I need to do to keep my account the same on smugmug?

When you have your domain registered with GoDaddy, do you also get email accounts? Currently with Startlogic, I have my email accounts set up for bsharp@bsharpphotography.com, and bsharpphotography.com opens to my smugmug account.

Thanks for your help.
    Brad
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    bsharp wrote:
    Startlogic registered my domain name for me, but that doesn't mean I have to use them. All I need to know is if I cancel my account with them, is there anything I need to do to keep my account the same on smugmug?

When you have your domain registered with GoDaddy, do you also get email accounts? Currently with Startlogic, I have my email accounts set up for bsharp@bsharpphotography.com, and bsharpphotography.com opens to my smugmug account.

Thanks for your help.
    Brad
    We totally love Godaddy, that's why we partnered with 'em. You can easily move your domain hosting to them, just call them to find out out - it's pretty painless - I did it myself a year or so ago, moving from register.com to godaddy.

You must have your domain registered and hosted somewhere.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    We totally love Godaddy, that's why we partnered with 'em. You can easily move your domain hosting to them, just call them to find out out - it's pretty painless - I did it myself a year or so ago, moving from register.com to godaddy.

You must have your domain registered and hosted somewhere.

Thanks for your response,

However, since I don't have too much interaction with my hosting site, and since the price is considerably less, I think I will stick with them (startlogic.com). For unlimited GB of Storage and Transfer, domains, and email accounts they charge $5.95/month. GoDaddy charges $14.24/month for the same plan.

But I'm sure their support would be better, since StartLogic's support is very poor.

Thanks again for your response.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    bsharp wrote:

However, since I don't have too much interaction with my hosting site, and since the price is considerably less, I think I will stick with them (startlogic.com). For unlimited GB of Storage and Transfer, domains, and email accounts they charge $5.95/month. GoDaddy charges $14.24/month for the same plan.

But I'm sure their support would be better, since StartLogic's support is very poor.

If you need that much hosting, that's a fine deal, but GoDaddy has a $4.74/mo plan that gives you 10GB of space and 300GB transfer or 150GB of sapce and 1500GB transfer for only $6.64 per month. If your photos are on Smugmug, do you need unlimited space and transfer because you're paying > $100/yr for that.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    bsharp wrote:

If you are using smugmug all you need to pay godaddy is $10/year.

I've been using hosts for a long time and I manage about a dozen different websites. Hosts that offer unlimited everything for so little usually are very slow and unreliable. I can't speak about Startlogic, but I can say that about all the budget hosts I've ever tried.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    Ohh something I like to do before I buy a service I've never heard of is google them.

Here is a page of customer reviews for StartLogic (came up first in google after the paid ads)

http://www.techbarn.net/2/hosting/startlogic/

I wish you the best of luck. Customer service is the reason I'm here.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Ohh something I like to do before I buy a service I've never heard of is google them.

Here is a page of customer reviews for StartLogic (came up first in google after the paid ads)

http://www.techbarn.net/2/hosting/startlogic/

I wish you the best of luck. Customer service is the reason I'm here.

Thanks John,

I have had NO help from Startlogic since they shipped their support overseas. When I use the online tickets, at least they try. The only problem is that they don't know what they are doing, and after 3 days, and 8 emails, they messed up my URL and finally got me back to where I was before. Now they tell me how to resolve the CNAME issue by me making some changes on my account, online. If it works, it would have been nice to have that as the first answer instead of the 8th.

Thanks for your input.

Smugmug ROCKS!
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:

I've been using hosts for a long time and I manage about a dozen different websites. Hosts that offer unlimited everything for so little usually are very slow and unreliable. I can't speak about Startlogic, but I can say that about all the budget hosts I've ever tried.

If I can sign up with GoDaddy ro $10/year, I'm ready!! How do I get the $10/yr rate? Do I just call them up and tell them I have a SmugMug account, and ask them to transfer my domains?

Thanks for the heads up.
    Brad
    bsharpphotography.com
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,270 moderator
    edited January 15, 2009
    bsharp wrote:
    If I can sign up with GoDaddy ro $10/year, I'm ready!! How do I get the $10/yr rate? Do I just call them up and tell them I have a SmugMug account, and ask them to transfer my domains?
    That's their normal rate. And on their homepage right now, they show a $6.99 rate for .com transfers. See www.godaddy.com.

You will need to transfer your domain from your old host to godaddy. It's likely you will need to talk to both hosts. Call godaddy and I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

Info on setting up your URL to point to your smugmug site is at http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009
    That's their normal rate. And on their homepage right now, they show a $6.99 rate for .com transfers. See www.godaddy.com.

You will need to transfer your domain from your old host to godaddy. It's likely you will need to talk to both hosts. Call godaddy and I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

Info on setting up your URL to point to your smugmug site is at http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts.

--- Denise

You guys must think I'm mentally challenged. When I read your answers to my questions I agree whole heatedly and the thought that comes to mind is "why did I even have to ask such a stupid question".

Thank you for answering them anyway.

I appreciate all your help.

Brad.
  • Options
    Gary MillerGary Miller Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Godaddy For $10/year...
    I have been a Godaddy customer for quite some time, but somehow I have missed how to take advantage of this little gem of information.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Thanks.

- Gary

JohnBiggs wrote:
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,270 moderator
    edited January 16, 2009
    I have been a Godaddy customer for quite some time, but somehow I have missed how to take advantage of this little gem of information.
    Pricing details are available on www.godaddy.com. That's just for the domain and (I believe) a single email address. It doesn't include hosting your website there or any development tools. But that's all you need to spend to have a domain and use it with your smug site.

--- Denise
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Pricing details are available on www.godaddy.com. That's just for the domain and (I believe) a single email address. It doesn't include hosting your website there or any development tools. But that's all you need to spend to have a domain and use it with your smug site.

--- Denise

The problem here is that there is a lot of confusion between "hosting" and "registering."

$10/year is pretty average for registering a domain name. When you're using smugmug that's about all you need. You may want to register your domain at somewhere that gives you free e-mail (or e-mail forwarding at least) if you want an e-mail address with your domain name in it.

Hosting is a different story. That's when you're using someone else's servers to show your stuff. In this case, you DO NOT need hosting because you're using Smugmug's servers to show your stuff (that's what you pay them for). Hosting plans start at around $5/mo, but again, it's not something you really need if you're using smugmug.*

*Exceptions to this would be if you wanted to host your own blog on the same domain name or have a non-smugmug site as a sub-domain, etc.
  • Options
    Crystal Clear PhotographyCrystal Clear Photography Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    Blog??
    I hope I'm posting my question at the right place...if it's not related, pardon me :)

I am trying to set up a wordpress blog hosted at godaddy.com and use the prophoto theme i just purchased.

My question is...do i set that blog up under the same domain that i currently have pointed to my smugmug site or do i have to get a seperate domain name???? I would like my blog to be at www.crystalclearphotos.com/blog but i dont want to mess up my domain at smugmug (www.crystalclearphotos.com)

Has anyone done this...???
    :rofl
    ~Crystal
    www.crystalclearphotos.com
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by what takes our breath away"
  • Options
    Crystal Clear PhotographyCrystal Clear Photography Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    anyone??
    Ok I've set up hosting at smugmug godaddy.com and installed wordpress and my theme plugin.
    I used my domain that point to my smugmug site and a directory for the blog (www.crystalclearphotos.com/blog)

My problem now is that page doesnt exist for some reason so I can't get to my admin page for wordpress to create my blog! ne_nau.gif

will it work the way i set it up or do i need to create a subdomain (blog.crystalclearphotos.com) ...will that even work???

I really dont want to mess up my existing domain/site at smugmug but i also need to get this blog rolling.

anyone out there who can help????
    :rofl
    ~Crystal
    www.crystalclearphotos.com
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by what takes our breath away"
  • Options
    SloJoeSloJoe Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 5, 2009
    bsharp wrote:
    I know there are no stupid questions, so does that mean I'm stupid if I ask one?

Before I joined SmugMug, I built my own web page, and had it hosted by StartLogic.com. Now that I have my website on SmugMug, do I still need to have StartLogic host my domain, or does Smugmug offer hosting services? If so, do they offer email accounts, and where can I find out more about what they offer. I would like to eliminate Startlogic rom the picture and only deal with Smugmug. Ist that possible?

Thanks,
    Brad Sharp
    bradsharp.smugmug.com
    bsharpphotography.com (not working because Startlogic messed it up)

I use GoDaddy for my domain registration and Google Apps for my email.

Works great, and it is free! (same interface as gmail, but for your own domain). HIGHLY recommended

Ohh, and just a tip, ALWAYS make sure that the domain registration is in YOUR name and not the service's name. I also always use a different service to register the domain than the one I use to host the domain. The one time I did not follow this I almost got burned (it is very difficult to get some hosts to release the domain and allow a transfer. If it is in your name, it is easier to force the issue.)

Edit again. I did a quick who is on your domain. Your name is listed, and the domain registrar appears to be tucows. If startlogic gives you trouble, skip straight to http://domainhelp.tucows.com . Tucows is not a bad place, they should be willing to straighten things out quickly.