Old Church

CostanzoCostanzo Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited January 15, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
This is an interior of the Old St. Mary's Church in Detroit MI. It is the third oldest parish in the city. My daughter and I were out walking around the Greek Town area, after a Tigers game. We came across this church, and an elderly gentleman at the door asked, have you seen the inside? We said no, and he asked if we would like to take pictures of the inside. We are both photog. students at a community college, so of course we jumped at that chance. They dont construct them this way any more.

Thanks, Rob C.
"More Questions than Answers":D

My Gear:

Two Canon 40D/with battery grips
580EX, 580EX II, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 10-22, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 50 II 1.8, 2-Alien Bee 800, Pocket Wizards, Seconic 558R, Bags, Backpack, Stands and backdrops. Just added Canon 24-70L 2.8 lens.

Comments

• jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Good shot. But there's some pretty serious CA going on around the windows. Also the altar is a bit hot, don't you think. These kinds of indoor church shots are ideal for HDR.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • CostanzoCostanzo Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Thanks for taking time to CC. Yes I do agree with your CC. On our walk around Detroit, I was traveling light, for comfort, and for security. I would of liked to have more ambient light, and my tripod. When we left, I asked if we could come back another time, with the other equipment. The man that invited us in, said that would be fine. So that is on our hit list, summer of 2009. If I'm not mistaken, you must have all HDR shots lined up to make the process work? PS will do a little aligning, but it cant perform mirical(no puns intended). I have seen nice HDR of similar types of shots. And I will be experimenting with it ASAP. I had my Canon 17-55 2.8 IS on that day, but I think I may try my Canon 10-22 for a few of the next shots. So what do you think about my added info. in ref. to an attempt at HDR on this same subject?
    "More Questions than Answers":D

My Gear:

Two Canon 40D/with battery grips
    580EX, 580EX II, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 10-22, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 50 II 1.8, 2-Alien Bee 800, Pocket Wizards, Seconic 558R, Bags, Backpack, Stands and backdrops. Just added Canon 24-70L 2.8 lens.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    Costanzo wrote:
    This is an interior of the Old St. Mary's Church in Detroit MI. It is the third oldest parish in the city. My daughter and I were out walking around the Greek Town area, after a Tigers game. We came across this church, and an elderly gentleman at the door asked, have you seen the inside? We said no, and he asked if we would like to take pictures of the inside. We are both photog. students at a community college, so of course we jumped at that chance. They dont construct them this way any more.

Thanks, Rob C.

Hi Rob, I haven't been inside an old Church like that for years.
    The architecture is quite amazing, as are the beautiful stain glass windows.

I see Jeff commented about the CA around the frames of the windows.
    Some camera's/lenses are prone to that, but you can drastically reduce it in post processing, especially if you shoot in Raw.

I agree these type of buildings make for really nice HDR shots.
    Using a tripod to take the shots is the way to do it.
    Some folks take 3 shots -1 * 0 * +1 others do 5 shots -2,-1,0,+1.+2

Hope you get to go back with your trip and shoot it again. thumb.gif

Looks really nice inside, thanks for sharing .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin