Woodworking

flatheadfisherflatheadfisher Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
edited January 14, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I made some cutting boards to give to folks for gifts during the holidays. I used several species of wood and I had a colorful pile of shavings after using a hand plane to smooth the boards. I made a few pictures and here are a few that I like. I have a hard time trying to figure out where to focus and how much depth of focus to use in these kinds of pictures. Any tips that would help my learning would be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

442305266_AEYGk-XL.jpg

442307487_pwLRQ-XL.jpg

442305401_ErQjw-XL.jpg

Here is a cute snap shot:

435461761_XcfCv-M.jpg

Comments

• Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Like the composition on the first one the best.

The last one's my favorite rolleyes1.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 14, 2009
    The pictures are fine. DOF is perfect. Some folks might prefer a shallower DOF, but I prefer the deeper DOF so that the entire shavings are in focus.

Now that that's out of the way, how about a picture of the plane? And how about a brief description of your sharpening and tuning protocols. Those are some mighty-fine shavings there, bro'. thumb.gif
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    I like these shots, but boy is that one ugly mouse.

Sam
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    I like the 2nd one. But when I scrolled down to the last one I jumped. rolleyes1.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • flatheadfisherflatheadfisher Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    The pictures are fine. DOF is perfect. Some folks might prefer a shallower DOF, but I prefer the deeper DOF so that the entire shavings are in focus.

Now that that's out of the way, how about a picture of the plane? And how about a brief description of your sharpening and tuning protocols. Those are some mighty-fine shavings there, bro'. thumb.gif

Ha! I can't tune a plane to save my live - I have tried. So, I got a Lie-Nielsen 4 1/2 smoothing plane, a Veritas #6 fore plane, and a Lie-Nielsen adjustable mouth low angle block plane. They come ready to go. I use a Veritas Mark II honing guide on water stones. Here are some tool pics for you:

413490810_NPwig-X2.jpg
    413495502_AsDJx-X2.jpg
    392567971_NCWFA-X2-1.jpg
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 14, 2009
    Beautiful collection of hand tools there, Flathead. thumb.gif

I've got a Lie Nielsen 164 low angle smoother, and the same low angle block plane as you. Works of art, they are. nod.gif Same chisels too, although I've got a few japanese ones as well. mwink.gif

That fore plane looks good too.
  • baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Ha! I can't tune a plane to save my live - I have tried.

I can. It just takes LOTs of work.
    So, I got a Lie-Nielsen 4 1/2 smoothing plane, a Veritas #6 fore plane, and a Lie-Nielsen adjustable mouth low angle block plane. They come ready to go.

Ooooooo, I am SO jealous. Those are some sweet hand tools.
    geoff