need help with pp

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited January 14, 2009 in Landscapes
I took this a couple of weeks ago, the remnants of an abandoned old launch on the river. When I was shooting I felt the scene was quite dramatic, but I don't feel as though I've portrayed it very well in the photo. Here are color and b&w versions. Any suggestions on how to better portray it? different pp? thanks ahead for the input.

454583965_WC8iC-L.jpg

454584667_s3Jhs-L.jpg

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    I like it especially the BW version thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    I think you have the right elements there between the leading lines from the pier and the dramatic sky. What may be lacking is some depth in the picture. What I would suggest is to try and lighten the front pier support and increase just it's contrast. I think that will help add a sense of depth in the picture and increase it's interest. If you shot this RAW then you could try increasing the 'Fill Light' slider to increase the exposure in the darker areas. Or go into Photoshop and begin masking that area and increase the exposure and contrast.

You also clipped the pier on the right side. I don't know if this was the crop or just the way the picture was framed. If you can, it might help to give yourself some space to the right of the pier.
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Thanks for the input. I masked another layer to increase the brightness/contrast in the foreground as you suggested. On the right track?
    Chris

454799983_cd9hs-L.jpg
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    Thanks for the input. I masked another layer to increase the brightness/contrast in the foreground as you suggested. On the right track?
    Chris

454799983_cd9hs-L.jpg

That is brighter. What does the color look like?
    edited January 14, 2009
    I don't know why it looks so bright in the post. The original is more subtle. I just converted the psd to jpg, uploaded to smug and pasted the link, not had that happen before. anyway, here's the color.

454811949_osaRj-L.jpg
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    There's a lot to like about this. But I think ultimately the eye is draw out of the frame to the right because the front pilon is cut off. Do you have an image that includes the entire structure?
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
    edited January 14, 2009
    Here was my first processing of it. I redid it because I thought the crop would draw more attention to the foreground, but I see what you're saying that the pier being cut off is distracting.

450749315_yowAU-L.jpg
  • KwartaKwarta Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    Here was my first processing of it. I redid it because I thought the crop would draw more attention to the foreground, but I see what you're saying that the pier being cut off is distracting.

450749315_yowAU-L.jpg

This one has my vote.
    http://kbkphoto.com/

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.~Ansel Adams
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:

Oh yes. I think this is much better! thumb.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers