#17 newbee needs help choosing which pic

Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
edited January 17, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi there folks, I've just recently discovered this part of Dgrin and have caught the challenge bug!!

Anyhoo, I've come up with 3 pics, one of which I hope is good enough to enter. But before I decide which to enter I'd love your opinions on them please.

First up is the one I call CSI

454735496_W3Ujx-M-4.jpg

Then 2nd is "Let us Spray"
454735696_pjngb-M-3.jpg

And finally a B&W vesion of "Let us spray"
454735350_phBNk-M-3.jpg

I know that the watermarks are not allowed in the Comp, but are my copyright marks ok to enter?

So what do you all think? Are they good enough? which would you say is the best ( or at least that sucks the least ) ?

Tim

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    I like the B&W hairspray shot. I prefer it over the color version because in the color version the green can upstages the hair.

On my monitor it looks like the hand is overexposed while the details in the hair are lacking. Getting hair details to show up on a brunette is not easy and I suspect the hand got overexposed in your attempt to bring out details in the hair. If you can reshoot with a blonde model you'll have less difficulty with the contrast. mwink.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Welcome! It's fun over here - these kind and supportive folks have taken me from pretty much occasional snapper to picture-taking maniac, so you're in the right place for some fun!

I actually like the first one, with the single hair, but I find the hand overexposed on my (uncalibrated) monitor - did you shoot RAW so you can adjust the exposure a little more? Also is your monitor calibrated?

I agree that the Hairspray shot works better in BW than colour.

Both great ideas - look forward to seeing your finished results for both!thumb.gif
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    On my monitor it looks like the hand is overexposed while the details in the hair are lacking.

Thanks for giving your advice, I've had another go at converting the RAW file and here's the result

454815833_2Gdzh-M.jpg

any better ?

I actually like the first one, with the single hair, but I find the hand overexposed on my (uncalibrated) monitor - did you shoot RAW so you can adjust the exposure a little more?

Hi and thanks for your observations, My monitor is calabrated, but the hand was a bit too hot, I've re-done the RAW convertion, what do you think?

454821508_2T7NZ-M.jpg

Tim
    edited January 14, 2009
    Velvet-Art wrote:
    Hi and thanks for your observations, My monitor is calabrated, but the hand was a bit too hot, I've re-done the RAW convertion, what do you think?

Tim

Much better - I can tell that it's a GLOVED hand now (the highlight was blown enough before that I didn't realise that) thumb.gif
    edited January 15, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Much better - I can tell that it's a GLOVED hand now (the highlight was blown enough before that I didn't realise that) thumb.gif

Thanks for your comments.

I've re-done the colour version of "Let us spray" to reduce the distraction of the green can. What do you all think of it now?

455279404_4dvkF-M.jpg

Thanks in advance for looking

Tim
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Velvet-Art wrote:
    I've re-done the colour version of "Let us spray" to reduce the distraction of the green can. What do you all think of it now? Thanks in advance for looking Tim

I like the new can color...and I vote it. I like the way the light plays with the hair and the spray...better than the BW. I also like the single hair with the hand toned down a bit. Good work

But, the new one with the silver spray can is my favorite.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited January 16, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    I like the new can color...and I vote it. I like the way the light plays with the hair and the spray...better than the BW. I also like the single hair with the hand toned down a bit. Good work

But, the new one with the silver spray can is my favorite.

Thank you for the kind comments, I'm leaning towards the new silver can version myself.

Anyone else any preferences?

Tim
    edited January 16, 2009
    Velvet-Art wrote:
    Thank you for the kind comments, I'm leaning towards the new silver can version myself.

Anyone else any preferences?

Tim

I think I'm leaning towards the silver hairspray as well (my 10 year old will laugh when she sees this one since when she heard of this theme she immediately ran to the DVD cabinet to get "Hairspray" which I said wasn't quite what I had in mind - she'll be triumphant... and outraged that I didn't take her advice!! lol). My nit with it now is the "floating arm" - without the elbow there it's ever so slightly disembodied, but it still works despite i think.

Good work! thumb.gif
    edited January 16, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I think I'm leaning towards the silver hairspray as well (my 10 year old will laugh when she sees this one since when she heard of this theme she immediately ran to the DVD cabinet to get "Hairspray" which I said wasn't quite what I had in mind - she'll be triumphant... and outraged that I didn't take her advice!! lol). My nit with it now is the "floating arm" - without the elbow there it's ever so slightly disembodied, but it still works despite i think.

Good work! thumb.gif

Thanks for the encouragement, I see what you mean about the floating arm, but I wanted to have a tight frame without the face showing as I wanted the emphasis to be on the hair / hairspray, but I guess that resulted in the disimbodies floating arm.

I kinda wished I'd taken a slightly wider shot just to see how that'd work, maybe I could coax my charming better half into another photo shoot 9496500-Ti.gif

Tim
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    That last color shot looks very nice. thumb.gif The silver can works beautifully. The lighting on the lady's hair is also better and I'm able to make out the texture.
    edited January 17, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    That last color shot looks very nice. thumb.gif The silver can works beautifully. The lighting on the lady's hair is also better and I'm able to make out the texture.

Thanks very much, it's looking like the silver can "Let us Spray" is the winner.

Tim

edit; I've decided to enter the silver can version into the challenge. Thank you all for your help and advice.

Tim