New Shoes

jstpeterjstpeter Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
edited January 14, 2009 in People
A portrait of a horseshoe fitter hard at work. Would love to hear what you think.

453490838_TL6v2-L.jpg
Would love to hear from you on my blog, or website!

Comments

• jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Excellent!!! I like it alot...Love the contrast of it.....
    Good Job
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    The strong HDR effect works for me in this shot. It took me 10 sec. or so to actually figure out what I was looking at, but I like it. The dirty details and comp fit the action imo. clap.gif
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    I really like your processing. However, I would change the composition one of two ways - either include more in the scene - my first instinct was I needed more information

OR (probably prefer this) crop more off the top - to just above the elbow, maybe a smidge off the bottom too - so that the hoof is right on the line of thirds from the bottom. If you scroll up, you can see that effect without actually doing the cropping, and see what you think.

ann
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    I like the image and the processing - brings out the grittiness of the job. thumb.gif Like some of the other comments, though, it took me a second to get to the real subject as there is a lot of things in this image competing for the eye. Ann's crop idea may be an effective solution to a stronger image. Maybe even bring in th eleft side a little.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 14, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    The strong HDR effect works for me in this shot. It took me 10 sec. or so to actually figure out what I was looking at, but I like it. The dirty details and comp fit the action imo. clap.gif

The effect is a little too strong for me, I would like to see it backed off a smidge. It's like someone took a Rodinal frame and colorized it.

Other comments regarding changing the crop would help too.I'd like to see it slid to the right, although I don't know what the whole frame has in it.

A strong image, just a little heavy handed in the PP.
  • jstpeterjstpeter Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Thansk everyone! I think I agree withthe crop from the top. I did want to make sure I included the tools in the bottom but the top should be cut down.

Magic, Definitely respect the thought there. I always play with HDR levels and some of my shots are more and some are less. I went on the heavy side with this one to bring out the grit and dirt.
    Would love to hear from you on my blog, or website!