Superwoman Lives For A Day!

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited January 18, 2009 in People
Well, that's the title for the series. It's meant to be a flash of action in the fictional life of "Superwoman"...or something like that lol. Anyway, I'm new to the forums (joined last year but haven't really posted anything) and I thought I'd share something and get some input. It's supposed to be visually graphic, but does the post-processing work througout from #1-5? Any other advice/crit would be appreciated :)

453037645_aPcWw-M.jpg

453035852_HKeLK-M.jpg

453036778_gSyur-M.jpg

453034351_23DVa-M.jpg

453035165_ZruXc-M.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 14, 2009
    nice
    I like a lot the one in the stairs :)

the pov is so funny
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Thanks, respawn. I hip shot a lot of them to give it that vibe. I printed them into trading card size too ^_^
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Although I don't particularly like the subject matter, the third one might have a stronger emotional impact if the gal was shown gritting her teeth.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    isn't she supposed to be kicking their butts?
    edited January 15, 2009
    mpaulie wrote:
    isn't she supposed to be kicking their butts?
    Ideally I would have loved to incorporate that. Instead I just chose to portray the kind of sad history of Superwoman in comic books. I can't link now bc I'm on my phone typing since my monitor just broke, but there's a wikipedia on her character and how the character has been around but either only as someone who doesn't really have super powers or someone who is a crazy stalker of Superman. The closest we have is Supergirl. Anyway, I do think I bit off more than I could chew with the idea and story telling, specially since we were only allowed 5 images for the project. I had hoped the last image was ambiguous enough to seem like she was rising again, though I may have failed on that.
    But thank you guys very much for your opinions and input. Good night :)
    </p>
    edited January 15, 2009
    btw
    this serie is better looking than your HDR :D

okay, that is just what i mean
    edited January 15, 2009
    respawn wrote:
    this serie is better looking than your HDR :D

okay, that is just what i mean
    Lol, I'm glad. I took those HDRs when I first got my xti February '08, and these were taken at the end of the year.
    edited January 15, 2009
    in fact i just dont like HDR, it looks completely fake to me :)

I just notice; you have worked on the colors in the "superwoman" serie?
    edited January 15, 2009
    Yes. I processed them through Photoshop.
  • ightenhillightenhill Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Number one quite reminds me of a Guy Bourdin photo... I lke them but feel they just need more saturation or something to make them pop...
    edited January 16, 2009
    ightenhill wrote:
    Number one quite reminds me of a Guy Bourdin photo... I lke them but feel they just need more saturation or something to make them pop...

Ooo really! I'm going to google Guy Bourdin now. About the saturation: you think more? I had hesitated because I wasn't sure if I had already saturated too much - but #5 I definitely need to reprocess since I think I may have screened way way more than I should have and lost a lot of saturation (specially in the reds).

But thank you! I will defintiely keep that in mind for #1-4.

PS. Wow wow wow - Guy Bourdin's photographs look like my cup of tea. Thank you so much for adding to my list of favorite resources!
    edited January 16, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    Ooo really! I'm going to google Guy Bourdin now. About the saturation: you think more? I had hesitated because I wasn't sure if I had already saturated too much - but #5 I definitely need to reprocess since I think I may have screened way way more than I should have and lost a lot of saturation (specially in the reds).

But thank you! I will defintiely keep that in mind for #1-4.

PS. Wow wow wow - Guy Bourdin's photographs look like my cup of tea. Thank you so much for adding to my list of favorite resources!

guy bourdin was a french advertisement and fashion photographer...

I think that saturation is ok, for me the work on saturation (specially if you look at fashion contemporary photos) is more a question of lightning on one side and color used on the other side.
    what I like in your serie is the kind of twist youve made with the colors, not really the saturation.
  • baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    The blue shirt is very blue but the red of the shoes and jacket are muted. They need to be REALLY red to contrast the shirt.
    geoff
    edited January 16, 2009
    maybe
    The blue shirt is very blue but the red of the shoes and jacket are muted. They need to be REALLY red to contrast the shirt.

just because the is a yellow dominant colorheadscratch.gif

(regarding the theory of colors, this yellow dominant make the less satured because yellow is opposed to blue - the combination of blue and yellow improve the contrast)

and yes my LCD screen is calibrated rolleyes1.gif
  • baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    respawn wrote:
    just because the is a yellow dominant colorheadscratch.gif

Nah. The most noticeable thing about SuperWoman is the bright red and blue of her hero costume. Which is not the most noticeable thing about Wonder Woman's costume. Yowza!
    geoff
    edited January 16, 2009
    sorry
    Nah. The most noticeable thing about SuperWoman is the bright red and blue of her hero costume. Which is not the most noticeable thing about Wonder Woman's costume. Yowza!

I m not very clear (not english spoken)... I meant : there is a dominant yellow on the picture globally... can we say a yellow haze ?
    rolleyes1.gif
    edited January 16, 2009
    respawn wrote:
    I m not very clear (not english spoken)... I meant : there is a dominant yellow on the picture globally... can we say a yellow haze ?
    rolleyes1.gif

Yep, the pictures are very warm tonally. Almost sun burnt lol. I totally agree with you about the contrasting golden tone making the blue really punchy though.
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    Woah very nice set!

I just love the toning and colors. Very funny theme to..Give me fantasy like that? :D
    edited January 18, 2009
    Arvan wrote:
    Very funny theme to..Give me fantasy like that? :D

Laughing.gif ^_^