Canon TX1 Replacement?

drdoakdrdoak Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited January 14, 2009 in Cameras
Last year I took my TX1 on a ride down 240 some miles of the Colorado in Grand Canyon (Video and stills compiled in THIS movie). It performed admirably, surviving fine gritty sands and rapids. I think the sliding steel plate in front of the lens worked better than the nested cylinder lenses most normal point and shoots have (sand gets in between cylinders and jams them). I think three or four people had those fail. For waterproofing I used a plastic bag made for small video cameras.

My thing is this: As fantastically designed the TX1 is in regards to features and durability, it's a pain in the *** to hold and manipulate in that bag. Even out of the bag, the vertical design is a bit awkward.

Are there any good alternatives either out now, or on the horizon? I've got my eye on the Stylus Tough-8000, but I'm loath to give up on the HD video from the TX1. I've got a similar 10 day trip coming up in April that I'd be wanting to use this on.

Thanks!
...and the river flows through our souls...
www.chrislindbergphotography.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 14, 2009
    The Olympus SW and now "Tough" series compact cameras are a fairly standard solution for weather challenged shoots.

Maybe consider the Tough 8000 and 6000 if they become available in time for the trip.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • drdoakdrdoak Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The Olympus SW and now "Tough" series compact cameras are a fairly standard solution for weather challenged shoots.

Maybe consider the Tough 8000 and 6000 if they become available in time for the trip.

In just a little bit of irony... I just noticed that Olympus has a contest going for the Stylus Tough cameras. You can win a trip to raft Grand Canyon... It's like they're targeting it right at me :).
    ...and the river flows through our souls...
    www.chrislindbergphotography.com