Should I fix it? EFs 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS

Ratty2austinRatty2austin Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited January 15, 2009 in Cameras
I have a canon 17-85 F4-5.6 IS zoom lens, and its also my only EFS lens (other lenses are EF) and the aperature drive broke- I sent it to a repair shop, and they quoted me about $240 parts and labor to have it fixed...

its gotten a lot of use, which is why it died I think, I bought it used about a year ago for $450 with hood, so my question is, is it worth fixing? or use this as a queue to upgrade to something like the 24-105L f4 IS? :deal since I am hoping to also soon upgrade my 40D to a 5DmkII...

if I don't fix it, then I have a pretty usless lens (still works, but only if I leave it af f4), if I fix it, can I re-sell it and still get something out of it? :dunno

opinions please :D

(oh, and if anyone is looking to buy that lens, then I guess it would be for sale too, with or without repairs :lol3)

thanks!

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    Personally, I would drop the lens (don't even repair it), buy an "L", and never look back.

As for the "L" to buy, either the 24-105 f/4L as you plan or the 24-70 f/2.8L - just depends on what kind of photography you do and where. Outdoors, the 24-105 is a great piece of glass, though in some circumstances it might be not quite wide enough. Indoors, it's just a touch slow unless you are using some sort of flash.

As for the 17-85, I think I would get a set of very small screwdrivers and have some fun.mwink.gif
  • JustinThymeJustinThyme Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    These are currently about $450 retail. Used prices are generallly around 80% retail. You also have to take into account the narrowed market for EFs glass due to the limitiations of use on crop bodies so there is not as many people looking for them. The best you could do IMO would be $50 over what you paid to have it fixed.

If I were in your shoes I would either keep it knowing its only good for f4...
    Take it apart to see what makes it tick on a chance you might get lucky...
    Offer it for sale as is with full disclosure at a discounted price.
    Canon CPS Gold Member
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    Another thought - take it apart and turn it into a pencil/pen holder:D
  • Ratty2austinRatty2austin Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    Another thought - take it apart and turn it into a pencil/pen holder:D

lol3.gif I like that one...

thanks!

I think I will keep it as is, and upgrade to the L glass deal.gif

I guess I could use it as my f4 only, "dirty jobs" lens for those shots that could potentially damage a good lens mwink.gif