Minimalist Landscape - Comments & Critiques Appreciated

BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
edited January 19, 2009 in Landscapes
I made this photograph for my 365 Project, but actually happen to like it a bit. I would love some feedback on the idea, whether you think it works, what could be done to improve the composition, processing, etc. Just so you know where I'm coming from, I tend to aim for photographs that are worth printing (maybe even selling) and really appreciate good feedback, so if you have some harsh yet constructive comments, they would be much appreciated, and will help me improve as a photographer.

455135936_q4mrh-L.jpg

Thanks!

—Brendan

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    redx for me
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    redx for me
    Hmm... Maybe this has something to do with my Smugmug gallery settings... headscratch.gif I shall try to fix it.

Edit: Does that help?

—Brendan
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    Photo appearing for me, and I like it! Minimalist is great, and the b/w treatment suits it very well. I really love the horizontal bands that are occurring in here.

Actually, the more I look at it the more I like it. Very, very cool shot! thumb.gif

BTW I see that you're a part of the Flickr 365 pool. Since your account is on Smug I thought I'd throw forth the Daily Photos community that we have there, too.
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    I can appreciate the photo as an abstract/minimalist work, and I really like the lines and the texture they present. My problem is that I find my eyes wandering around the photo looking for a subject ,which maybe in the end is what you were aiming for.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 16, 2009
    minimalism
    yes i agree with the fact that there is no subject, every seems to float, nothing is catching really my eyes. we could say why did you shooted that and not the zone 50 meters on the left/right. following that the framing seems to be very artificial

but I like it; it is quiet and yes, minimalist :D. I like the bands and the black to white movement.

my mind is vanishing eek7.gif so it works
    edited January 16, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Photo appearing for me, and I like it! Minimalist is great, and the b/w treatment suits it very well. I really love the horizontal bands that are occurring in here.

Actually, the more I look at it the more I like it. Very, very cool shot! thumb.gif

BTW I see that you're a part of the Flickr 365 pool. Since your account is on Smug I thought I'd throw forth the Daily Photos community that we have there, too.

schmoo, thanks for the link. I will have to check it out and figure out how dgrin and smugmug work together as a community. I'm sure it's there, but it's a bit less intuitive than flickr in that regard.

Thanks for your comments on the photograph as well, and I'm glad you like it.

Thanks to chrismore and respawn as well -- will respond to your helpful posts when I have a moment.

—Brendan
    edited January 17, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    I can appreciate the photo as an abstract/minimalist work, and I really like the lines and the texture they present. My problem is that I find my eyes wandering around the photo looking for a subject ,which maybe in the end is what you were aiming for.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your comments. I agree with you about the lack of a subject. I was hoping that the three small elements forming a triangle in the middle would be enough to sort of hold your attention, yet still allow it to flow towards the ripples in the water (the real subject). I do appreciate your comment that it doesn't really work for you. Perhaps a stronger subject would help 'anchor' the photograph. Something to try next time! :)

Thanks for your comments,
    —Brendan
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Biarien wrote:
    I made this photograph for my 365 Project, but actually happen to like it a bit. I would love some feedback on the idea, whether you think it works, what could be done to improve the composition, processing, etc. Just so you know where I'm coming from, I tend to aim for photographs that are worth printing (maybe even selling) and really appreciate good feedback, so if you have some harsh yet constructive comments, they would be much appreciated, and will help me improve as a photographer.

Thanks!

—Brendan

Brendan- I really like this shot. Love how simple it is. My only critique would be to try and bring down the highlights a bit on the top right. Otherwise I think it's a great image.

Cheers,
    edited January 19, 2009
    respawn wrote:
    yes i agree with the fact that there is no subject, every seems to float, nothing is catching really my eyes. we could say why did you shooted that and not the zone 50 meters on the left/right. following that the framing seems to be very artificial

but I like it; it is quiet and yes, minimalist :D. I like the bands and the black to white movement.

my mind is vanishing eek7.gif so it works

Sorry it's taken me so long to have a bit more time. As I mentioned, I chose this framing for the center 'subjects', though perhaps this was not enough. There were also large clumps of rocks to either side that I did not like the look of in the final photograph. Your final comment about your mind vanishing is a bit what I was going for, and I think larger rocks taking up 1/8 of the frame or so would have detracted from that.
    shniks wrote:
    Brendan- I really like this shot. Love how simple it is. My only critique would be to try and bring down the highlights a bit on the top right. Otherwise I think it's a great image.

Thanks -- I was going for a higher contrast to help give it some 'pop' despite the lack of subject, but I will reprocess it and see if a gentler treatment of the highlights helps.

—Brendan