Options

Shop Talk: what's your favorite mag (photo-wise) and why?

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited April 16, 2009 in Go Figure
I know this is shots section, so we're supposed to post pictures, but since it's also the only slightly rated section fo dgrin I think it's appropriate to discuss related issues here, too:-)

For quite some time I've been using every chance to look at the glam (and a bit more than just a glam) magazines and analyze the posing, the lighting, the outfit, the props, the works. I also subscribed (at least temporarily:-) to some of the not-so-over-the-counter editions.
Thus far I can say that "Playboy" stays second to none. The choice of models, lighting and setups is spotless. The so frequently mentioned "Maxim" was a *huge* disappointment, I think most of the sudents in my Technique Class would take better pictures if given a chance, honest.

The lifestyle mags (Esquire, CA, Elle, etc.) typically display a mix of fairly decent and occsional meh pics.

What's *your* favorite (as in "which one you'd like to shoot for"?)
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    That is such an interesting question! I'd guess I haven't looked at Playboy or other of the genre in many a moon, perhaps decades. But i do regularly, open magazines such as EllE, Brides, Or some other fashion mag. and tear out pages to take home that I like...this assuming being an older magazine found at work. And I do buy these here and there, just for the photos.

But rarely do I think: Who I'd like to shoot for. I believe I take it much more personally and think: What do I like? And how I'd do it differently?

I actually enjoy looking at the photos I find here about as much as I have ever enjoyed perusing them elsewhere and maybe more so simply because they seem more accessible here: The Photogs are real people, etc.

For me light falling across a cheek (in B&W), whether north or south is still light falling across a cheek, and when its well done, it makes little difference what anatomical part. Though the body that is usually hidden beneath garments being exposed is typically more titillating.

I like seeing glam shots sometimes, and sometime I'd like to emulate it, just to know how it is accomplished, but most times, I just like the light and dark and the gray~

I could go on, but fear I've strayed here a bit~~cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    It's been a long time since I've picked up a Vogue or Glamour magazine. Back in the eighties, I bought Vogue almost monthly, particularly the phonebook-sized September issue, and I'd tear out pages that gave me ideas. I wanted to shoot for that magazine, and a lot of my shots were inspired by it.

Elle was also good. . . . Oh wait, I'm thinking of the MacPherson version. Such a smile! mwink.gif (Yes, Elle - the magazine - was also good for study and ideas.)

I still buy the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, and only that issue.

I wanted to work with Paulina Porizkova and Kathy Ireland, along with several others, and, although she wasn't my style of shooting, but because of her out-there look and attitude, I've always thought that a shoot with Grace Jones would be an incredible experience.

Playboy is the only magazine in its genre that I've ever perused, and I've often wished they'd publish a book on the techniques of their photographers.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    B&W fine art
    That is an excellent question!
    I am most definitely not a glam or even a portrait photographer, but I enjoy viewing and learning from all types of shots. I would recommend you check out B&W magazine. It is aimed at collectors, but they have a nice mix of contemporary and historic photographers. The brand new March 2009 issue just arrived and I see a very interesting proof sheet from Lawrence Schiller shots of Marilyn Monroe. One can always learn from both of them.

The mag's production values are very good. I also read that they are coming out with Color magazine.

M
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    British Vogue thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Playboy is the only magazine in its genre that I've ever perused, and I've often wished they'd publish a book on the techniques of their photographers.

I caught a glimpse of their setup while flipping through the channels one night. The 'E' channel, or whoever shows 'The Girls Next Door' will frequently follow the girls to their photo shoots and film the setup. See link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJTRgeN2W-Y&feature=PlayList&p=43CDA6F9E75A9009&index=6

be sure to click 'high quality' and fast forward to 2.30 or so. From there you get several really good looks at their centerfold shoot set. Click onto the 2nd part for even more.
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    I really liked JPG. I was hoping it could have survived.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I really liked JPG. I was hoping it could have survived.

15524779-Ti.gif My sentiments exactly!!

I'm at the edge of my seat seeing what happens next with them.
  • Options
    zoinkzzoinkz Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    I caught a glimpse of their setup while flipping through the channels one night. The 'E' channel, or whoever shows 'The Girls Next Door' will frequently follow the girls to their photo shoots and film the setup. See link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJTRgeN2W-Y&feature=PlayList&p=43CDA6F9E75A9009&index=6

be sure to click 'high quality' and fast forward to 2.30 or so. From there you get several really good looks at their centerfold shoot set. Click onto the 2nd part for even more.

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by E! Entertainment Television.
    Bryan Elliott
    Nikon D3, D700, Nikkor 12-24 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8
    my blog | my website
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:

x2

I DO buy it for the pictures. :D