Options

Bodie and Mono Lake, California, in April

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,192 moderator
Are these areas open by mid-April? Anything I need to know if I'm driving down from the Tahoe area? Hints, tips? I could use any advice gained from experience. Thanks!
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited January 16, 2009
    David_S85 wrote:
    Are these areas open by mid-April? Anything I need to know if I'm driving down from the Tahoe area? Hints, tips? I could use any advice gained from experience. Thanks!
    Snow is a funny thing.

The passes will not open until June or maybe July. Depends on the snow pack. So you'll need to come over 50 and down 395 to the park.

The park itself is open but you'll need to call first to find out about road conditions. You will also want to get chains with your rental car in the off chance you'll need them (even if it's 4WD).
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    I tried to make it to Bodie at Thanksgiving but was stopped by the snow. I could have probably made it but I needed to be in Palm Springs by the end of the day and did not want to chance it. I also was driving my Sienna van if I had the Subaru I would have went for it. Last three miles are unpaved.
    Even if you cannot make it to Bodie you have the whole eastern slope of the sierra down 395 that can make up for it. Most winter access is by snow machines, unless you are into cross country skiing. Elevation 8300 ft but so far this year snow has not been that great but that could change even in April. Weather and Roads http://www.bodie.com/dir.asp
    You could always hit Virginia City NV not as good as Bodie but is still a cool place
    432391977_mzRAH-L.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,192 moderator
    edited January 29, 2009
    Thanks, DsrtVW for that pic. Explains what we may be up against very nicely. Might have saved us a couple hundred miles of fruitless driving. Bodie & Mono will remain on my "to see" list, although probably be on a future trip. I'll consider Virginia City too. Might even make a day trip to SF area and possibly look in at SM HQ. Who knows. We'll have almost a week out there.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2009
    All depends on what you are looking to capture, Tahoe itself has so many options. If you are looking to get old ghost towns or goldmining there are other options near Tahoe. Malakoff Digging State park or Coloma State Park.
    I would love to get back to Bodie with snow in the shots. It is on the list.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • Options
    dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    David_S85 wrote:
    All you can do is check close to the time you can be in the area. The conditions are highly variable. Two weeks ago the road was passible.

Examples from the past:

March 11, 2007

141049302_ctoq2-L.jpg

The snow covered peak on the skyline is Bodie Mountain.

Looking back from Bodie Mountain, Thanksgiving 2007:

236166587_NTEPm-X2-1.jpg

Bodie is low in the image at 108 degrees, just south of east from the peak. That year there had been snow before Thanksgiving, but it had almost all melted off. The snowshoe hare I saw was already pure white. The temperature at sunrise on the hill above Bodie was in the single digits with wind gusts to 40 MPH at the top of Bodie Mountain.

Bodie gallery:
    http://dbdimages.smugmug.com/gallery/2665336_7i2hE#141041809_T4DBF

Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2009
    David_S85 wrote:
    April 10, 2009:
    510559606_dz98e-L.jpg

This is what a mild warm winter day looked like for the inhabitants in years gone by. This year, the road was still open, tourists were still driving in. The next two days are supposed to be sunny, so the new snow coat may be gone by Easter. Scattered patches of old snow will still remain.

Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2009
    I was just through on April 4th and it was showing road closed still did not go up and try it. Instead went to Virginia City
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited April 13, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:
    I was just through on April 4th and it was showing road closed still did not go up and try it. Instead went to Virginia City

There are a couple of roads that lead to Bodie. There's the front entrance road and "the back road". The back road is worth a look see if you have an off-road capable vehicle. It's also the case that when the front is "closed", the back is open :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2009
    There's closed and then there's closed-closed.
    DsrtVW wrote:
    The state of California uses 'Closed' on roads that are not being maintained. It also uses "Closed' while they are being maintaied. California usually only tickets in the latter case.

The Bodie road is marked with a closed sign at the turnoff and a gate about 0.5 miles in. At the gate there is a dirt area 40' wide to allow you to bypass the gate.

In February, there was maintenance going on the two days I was there, so there was a CalTrans truck blocking the bypass. Caltrans let the Bodie duty ranger drive through but stopped tourists. I drove the south (Cottonwood Canyon) approach. It also had a closed sign because snow is not removed and it often stays wet. (It's a dirt road.) When I was there the road was dry until the last downgrade into Bodie. Then there was 6" of water and mud. I chose to walk the last mile.

In April, the paved road shows that there has been some maintenance done with more still needed, but there were several vehicles in the parking lot at all times despite the weather. The road is passible.

When the mostly paved road is closed and not closed-closed there is room to bypass the gate. A sign like this appears at the gate bypass:

142657199_RVHf2-S.jpg

The only change since I took this picture is that the rates are up to $5 for adults.

Dale B. Dalrymple