New Sigma 18-250 lens

MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
edited January 16, 2009 in Cameras
Just announced what looks like a really versatile lens in a compact package, complete with image stabilization:

sigma_18_250_001.jpg

Could be a great single lens for travelling.

More info here: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0901/09011501sigma18250mmhsm.asp

Comments

• PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Indeed - can't wait to see this one put through its paces.

I'm guessing the Sony version will be less expensive than the others because it won't need IS built-in? Or will they make it IS anyway?
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    Indeed - can't wait to see this one put through its paces.

I'm guessing the Sony version will be less expensive than the others because it won't need IS built-in? Or will they make it IS anyway?

Usually they do not add the IS to any of the KM - Sony or the Pentax or Olympus lines as it can't be utilized and would just be added weight.

Tamron already has one of these don't they??
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    I recall reading that Sigma does not intend to put OS on lenses with mounts that have sensor based image stabilization as it can lead to problems with the OS and the sensor stabilization cancelling each out or something along those lines.

Yup, I suspect that this is a response to Tamron's 18-270 with Vibration Control (their version of image stabilization).