Meteor

TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
edited January 17, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I decided to try my hand at astrophotography recently. My first exposure wasn't quite right, so I made an adjustment and pressed the shutter a second time. Barely a moment had passed into the exposure when my wife said "Look, a meteor!" I fully expected it to be gone before I had a chance to look up, but to my surprise it was still there and continued streaking across the sky for well over 5 seconds. I couldn't believe my luck to have captured it in a photo. It's probably one of those "had to be there" things, but I thought maybe it would be of interest to astronomy buffs.

Photo details: D300 at ISO 3200 and f/4 for 15 seconds. The lens was a Sigma 10-20mm set at 10mm.

455795569_WuvtZ-L.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Fantastic shot.clap.gif I'd like to see it run through Noise Ninja.

Dan
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Splendid photograph !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Very lucky and cool shot!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Very cool colors.
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • CoreheadCorehead Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Sigh and boo hoo: I SO WISH I had a camera of any sort when Comet Hyakutake streaked across the central Arizona (and other skies) back in the winter of 1997 (I think).

Hailey's Comet had NOTHING on that: a week after I first noticed the merest smudge of Hyakutake. that tail stretched across the entire sky!!!

Now if you can dredge up anything about Hyakutake in your astronomical archives, why, let's ALL take a look-see!

Steve-o

Tanuki wrote:
    I decided to try my hand at astrophotography recently. My first exposure wasn't quite right, so I made an adjustment and pressed the shutter a second time. Barely a moment had passed into the exposure when my wife said "Look, a meteor!" I fully expected it to be gone before I had a chance to look up, but to my surprise it was still there and continued streaking across the sky for well over 5 seconds. I couldn't believe my luck to have captured it in a photo. It's probably one of those "had to be there" things, but I thought maybe it would be of interest to astronomy buffs.

Photo details: D300 at ISO 3200 and f/4 for 15 seconds. The lens was a Sigma 10-20mm set at 10mm.

455795569_WuvtZ-L.jpg
  • TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Shootin1st wrote:
    Very cool colors.

The orange light is from sodium vapor street lamps in town.
  • TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Corehead wrote:
    Sigh and boo hoo: I SO WISH I had a camera of any sort when Comet Hyakutake streaked across the central Arizona (and other skies) back in the winter of 1997 (I think).

Hailey's Comet had NOTHING on that: a week after I first noticed the merest smudge of Hyakutake. that tail stretched across the entire sky!!!

Now if you can dredge up anything about Hyakutake in your astronomical archives, why, let's ALL take a look-see!

Steve-o

I wish I had astonomical archives! My entire life, I've never lived in a place where I could see the Milky Way. My only opportunities are on vacations.

Here's another photo I took in the other direction, with the intention of capturing the Milky Way. Although we could see the Milky Way very clearly with our eyes, it didn't show up at all in the photo. I have seen other photographers capture the Milky Way with similar exposures, so I'm thinking that it might be because of Nikon's meddling with the RAW data as explained here. I wish I had thought of trying the "Mode 3" workaround when I was shooting. Oh well, there's always next vacation.

456057931_2Ucua-L.jpg

After I realized I wasn't going to get the Milky Way shot, I decided just to make do with what I had, and came up with the following.

456068112_7bHau-L.jpg
  • drakedrake Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    What a great picture.
    Personal Site: onlinedrake.com
    SmugMug : My Photos
    Photo Migration (Firefox) : smugglr.net
    Online Drake Store