Balboa Park

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited January 19, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I haven't posted any shots in a while... long while... because I haven't had a chance to get out and take any. A number of projects have taken up my time, and one of them has been organizing and backing up my archive. While doing that, found these photos from Balboa Park that I always meant to get around to but hadn't yet...

Balboa Park here in San Diego is really close to my house, so it tends to be where I go to experiment with new ideas and gadgets. This day I was experimenting with my new ND filter.

I call these "The Speed of Life" but even that is open to criticism... :D

455870194_fGkMR-L.jpg

455867373_8d8vW-L.jpg

455867436_YyC6n-L.jpg

These aren't really panos, but I felt the pano-kind-a-crop emphasized the feeling of movement...Yes? No? Maybe?

As always, your comments, suggestions and concerns are encouraged!
Thanks for looking!
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:

These aren't really panos, but I felt the pano-kind-a-crop emphasized the feeling of movement...Yes? No? Maybe?

Nice concept well conceived and executed. Yes on the pano crop. thumb.gifthumb

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • CoreheadCorehead Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Must be nice living next to a thousand-acre park!

I lived for about 6 months on Balboa Ave. but WAY closer to "The Drink", a while back in my earlier life as as an industrial water treatment tech.

The San Diego area had been my favorite account run area...so how's Coronado Island doing these days? Still some sand on the shoreline?

Steve-o
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Nice concept well conceived and executed. Yes on the pano crop. thumb.gifthumb

Thank you for the compliments, Jack!! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited January 17, 2009
    Corehead wrote:
    Must be nice living next to a thousand-acre park!

I lived for about 6 months on Balboa Ave. but WAY closer to "The Drink", a while back in my earlier life as as an industrial water treatment tech.

The San Diego area had been my favorite account run area...so how's Coronado Island doing these days? Still some sand on the shoreline?

Steve-o

It is, it is!! Being close to Balboa Park and all it has to offer is on of my favorite things about San Diego!

Coronado is still holding up! The beach is still there, for now... I keep meaning to get over there for a photo survey, but just haven't made it yet...
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • CoreheadCorehead Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    Well, Sir:

When you do find it in your heart to drive across that (now toll-free) bridge--unless you want to take the LONG way around up the Silver Strand, make sure you get some sunset shots of Point Loma...and Hotel Del Coronado. Oh, speaking of which, I was surprised one evening on a date when driving across that bridge near Christmas time in 2001 (what a year THAT was, ayy?)...FIREWORKS over Hotel Del Coronado.

And NO camera :bash (we need an ani-emoticon showing someone kicking himself).

My favorite stop in Balboa Park was the Aerospace Museum. Anything NEW there in the last few years?

Steve-o

CWSkopec wrote:
    It is, it is!! Being close to Balboa Park and all it has to offer is on of my favorite things about San Diego!

Coronado is still holding up! The beach is still there, for now... I keep meaning to get over there for a photo survey, but just haven't made it yet...
    edited January 17, 2009
    Corehead wrote:
    Well, Sir:

When you do find it in your heart to drive across that (now toll-free) bridge--unless you want to take the LONG way around up the Silver Strand, make sure you get some sunset shots of Point Loma...and Hotel Del Coronado. Oh, speaking of which, I was surprised one evening on a date when driving across that bridge near Christmas time in 2001 (what a year THAT was, ayy?)...FIREWORKS over Hotel Del Coronado.

And NO camera :bash (we need an ani-emoticon showing someone kicking himself).

My favorite stop in Balboa Park was the Aerospace Museum. Anything NEW there in the last few years?

Steve-o

Steve-o,
    I've heard that the Hotel Del looks amazing with the Christmas lights up... it was top on my list to get to this past holiday season... sadly it wasn't to be... there's always next year! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the heads up on the fireworks!! I'll have to remember that and try to plan it accordingly next year...

I don't think the Aerospace Museum has had too many BIG new additions lately... a traveling exhibit based on Star Trek just wrapped up not long ago (or maybe soon)... but my favorites have always been the Museum of Man and the Natural History museum, so I may not be able to pick out anything new in the Aerospace...
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    I haven't posted any shots in a while... long while... because I haven't had a chance to get out and take any. A number of projects have taken up my time, and one of them has been organizing and backing up my archive. While doing that, found these photos from Balboa Park that I always meant to get around to but hadn't yet...

Balboa Park here in San Diego is really close to my house, so it tends to be where I go to experiment with new ideas and gadgets. This day I was experimenting with my new ND filter.

As always, your comments, suggestions and concerns are encouraged!
    Thanks for looking!

It does look like some folks are speeding across the image rolleyes1.gif
    I like it clap.gif your pano crops add to the effect ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • trihokietrihokie Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    I think this idea would be great if you had the background movement of all the people and place a model, motionless, in the middle of everything. Preferably a really hot lady--the kind that makes time stand still...

Hokies Rule!
    www.trihokie.com
    edited January 19, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    It does look like some folks are speeding across the image rolleyes1.gif
    I like it clap.gif your pano crops add to the effect ... Skippy :D

Thank you, Skippy! thumb.gif
    The folks standing still were watching a street performer and luckily the performance lasted long enough for me to do plenty of experimenting!
    Glad you like them!! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited January 19, 2009
    trihokie wrote:
    I think this idea would be great if you had the background movement of all the people and place a model, motionless, in the middle of everything. Preferably a really hot lady--the kind that makes time stand still...

First off, as a life long Syracuse fan, I would argue that the Hokies don't, in fact, rule... But I am quite biased! rolleyes1.gif

That aside, I love your idea!! It brings to mind the scene from the Matrix where Neo is getting his first chance to walk through, and there's that one gorgeous girl in a bright red dress amid the sea of black suits... I'll have to try to set something up with a model once the Spring/Summer months bring the droves of people back to the park. Thanks for the idea!!! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos