WA state sales tax

tlphotostlphotos Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited January 20, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Doing a forum search, I get that WA and tax are too common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search - which means I am not getting anywhere. Am I doing it right?

Here is what I researching - WA state has a sales tax and I want to verify my responsibilities in owing the tax. Yes I am going to talk to a CPA who knows WA Dept. of Revenue stuff. Like everything else, you can talk to various "experts" and get varying answers and I want to go in there with a little knowledge so I will know all the questions to ask. I have also sent a note to WA state Dept, of Revenue to see what they send. Their website is very unhelpful.

:dunno My question is for those living in WA state and images sales through Smugmug, what have the professionals (CPAs or tax attorneys) told you about taxes from your Smugmug sales?
Also, did your CPA/tax attorney give you an idea of when a money making hobby is really a business in terms of registering with the state?

Comments

• tdinardotdinardo Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    This should help: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=458-20-140

If you are producing and selling prints in WA State you must collect sales tax. If a 3rd party (SmugMug) is doing your fulfillment, you don't need to. If you are delivering digital copies for self-fulfillment (you are not delivering physical prints), I believe this falls under the licensing usage clause so no tax is collected. YMMV.

Tom.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Re: your search problems.

Use the Google!

20090119-xisjcdwunnpyr48isjy7c3rqwk.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • tlphotostlphotos Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Google search
    DavidTO wrote:
    Re: your search problems.

Use the Google!

20090119-xisjcdwunnpyr48isjy7c3rqwk.jpg

Thanks, I guess I glazed right over that and went right into the Dgrin search. I'll give it a try.
  • tlphotostlphotos Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    tdinardo wrote:
    This should help: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=458-20-140

If you are producing and selling prints in WA State you must collect sales tax. If a 3rd party (SmugMug) is doing your fulfillment, you don't need to. If you are delivering digital copies for self-fulfillment (you are not delivering physical prints), I believe this falls under the licensing usage clause so no tax is collected. YMMV.

Tom.

Thanks for the link and the explanation. I tend to agree with your assessment. thumb.gif
    I wonder if it is just a matter of time before WA includes digital files the same as prints.
  • tdinardotdinardo Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    tlphotos wrote:
    Thanks for the link and the explanation. I tend to agree with your assessment. thumb.gif
    I wonder if it is just a matter of time before WA includes digital files the same as prints.

NP.

I doubt this will change any time soon. Changes here would be the same as changes from a software license perspective. I think you can see the ramifications such a change would have in WA....