Future softball star

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited January 17, 2009 in People
This little girl is 10days old. Her mom was a college softball star...thus the glove. Comments on lighting etc... would be appreciated as this is my first time trying a darker background. Thanks for looking!

455945092_J6yC5-XL.jpg
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    I love it! You are so good with these studio shots. I love the dark background too. Too sweet.
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    This looks really nice to me.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    In all seriousness....Very well done. Sure, there will be differences of opinion on lighting, pose, star alignment, you name it (hey, it's the internet) but this is a great shot, nicely lit and well processed. Great job!clap.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Definitely a keeper.
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    I love it! You are so good with these studio shots. I love the dark background too. Too sweet.

Thanks so much! I keep plugging along since I have no choice being it is below 0 today so no outside shots for me for awhile!
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    I agree about the lighting... nice job. I know the bow in the hair "says" girl but the color is just so different from the rest of the picture that I find it a little distracting and it pulls me away from that sweet face.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    I like the pose, the lighting and the dark background.

However, I think there's too much else going on. For me, a newborn shoot is mostly about the newborn and I think the combo of the fur, the purple hairbow and the glove and ball that are as big as she is, I think it distracts from the baby. I think had the fur been moved back and then the shot with JUST the bow or ball or glove, rather than all three together, might have helped. It just seems like all of that all together overwhelms the baby.

However, I do really like the overall concept...my older daughter is 13 and WAY into soccer so I can't wait until I can shoot my little one with her sister's soccer ball.
    edited January 17, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    In all seriousness....Very well done. Sure, there will be differences of opinion on lighting, pose, star alignment, you name it (hey, it's the internet) but this is a great shot, nicely lit and well processed. Great job!clap.gif

Thanks Swartzy. I know what you mean about the internet thing. C/C is wonderful but downright meaness is uncalled for as I have encountered here before. I am glad that you think it is well lit. That's my goal this winter. Getting the lighting right!
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    I love everything about this. The overall feel is great. I think the dark background works really well because of the darker tones of the glove. You mentioned that the mother was a collage softball star, so I think it all adds to making it relevant to your client. iloveyou.gif

I also love how she's wrapped in the glove as well as the blanket.

-- Lisa P.
    edited January 17, 2009
    I like the pose, the lighting and the dark background.

However, I think there's too much else going on. For me, a newborn shoot is mostly about the newborn and I think the combo of the fur, the purple hairbow and the glove and ball that are as big as she is, I think it distracts from the baby. I think had the fur been moved back and then the shot with JUST the bow or ball or glove, rather than all three together, might have helped. It just seems like all of that all together overwhelms the baby.

However, I do really like the overall concept...my older daughter is 13 and WAY into soccer so I can't wait until I can shoot my little one with her sister's soccer ball.

Thanks for your input. I have some of just the baby herself but these were done with a birth announcment design in mind. I also did some of her in her father's police hat holding his badge. They were mostly just for fun. I wish I had a different bow but that was all she brought. I just wanted the picture to say "girl" a little :) good luck with your daughter!