DGrin Challenges and Photoshop

XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
edited May 23, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
In one of Andy's posts on the rules for the challenges, it states 'photoshop away' what level of PS-ing is generally deemed acceptable:

a) photo improvement
b) photo montage/collage
c) photo art
d) skye is the limit

Inquiringly,

XO,
You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2005
    XO-Studios wrote:
    In one of Andy's posts on the rules for the challenges, it states 'photoshop away' what level of PS-ing is generally deemed acceptable:

a) photo improvement
    b) photo montage/collage
    c) photo art
    d) skye is the limit

Inquiringly,

XO,

any/all. it's up to you. and the judges, then voters, to decide. occassionally we have a "no photoshop" challenge where we allow only things like raw conversion, minor color correction, contrast, and sharpness corrections.
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2005
    andy wrote:
    any/all. it's up to you. and the judges, then voters, to decide. occassionally we have a "no photoshop" challenge where we allow only things like raw conversion, minor color correction, contrast, and sharpness corrections.
    Thanks Andy, and speaking of fast response time, I checked and saw my post at 9:02 AM, your response at 9:04 AM quick on THE trigger thumb.gif

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • DawnLandDawnLand Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2005
    ps question #2 from me now....
    I apologize if you already answered this, but I have another question:

When entering a contest we have to use a photo taken in the contest "time frame". One competitor mentioned taking an "old" photo and "modifying" it within the time frame in ps. If the shutter did not "snap" within the time frame, is it acceptible to take an already taken shot from one of our files, modify it, and then enter it within the time frame? dawn
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 23, 2005
    DawnLand wrote:

When entering a contest we have to use a photo taken in the contest "time frame". One competitor mentioned taking an "old" photo and "modifying" it within the time frame in ps. If the shutter did not "snap" within the time frame, is it acceptible to take an already taken shot from one of our files, modify it, and then enter it within the time frame? dawn
    Hey Dawn,

I pretty sure the photo needs to be taken within the time-frame.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    Not an official response
    But from my point of view, the challenge is for the photo aspect, so I would say the image needs to be taken during the challenge time frame. Any post processing is darkroom stuff to render the image in the way you want it to look and would not have a bearing for me.

If it were a PS challenge, then that would be another matter, and the time frame of when the image was taken wouldn't have the bearing, but the PS work would.

But the final decision is not mine mwink.gif
    DawnLand wrote:

Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie