Options

problem with selling photos

kenickie9kenickie9 Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited January 19, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I recently helped out a couple who had some really bad pictures taken at their wedding. Because the phots were probably taken on a poor digital camera the "buy photo" option is not working, it says that the photo is too small. Is there any way to bypass this, so that this poor bride can purchase and print her pictures?

http://natalielane.smugmug.com/gallery/7021130_uHTi2 password focus

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    The images in that gallery are too small to make any decent print from. They are only 336x448 pixels (which is only 0.15 megapixels). These are not the original images from the camera as no digital camera I'm aware of produces images this small. These are thumbnails for browsing, but not for printing.

What is needed is to get the real original images and print from those which will have a lot more pixels. The originals would all be at least 1 megapixel (even camera phones are at least that large) which would allow for some print sizes.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    LinhLinh Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    yeah, it looks like the photography didn't upload the originals, only proofs to look at. I'm not sure that was their intention, and may just be a goof on their part.

I'd suggest contacting the photographer about that. Smugmug generally allows you to specify the maximum a visitor can see, that way they have the original to print from.
    vote on the following smugmug feedback:
    CSS Block To Flow Down To Children Folders/Pages/Galleries
    [URL="http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/1104583-a-bulk-
    gallery-download-button-for-my-visitors"]bulk download option for clients[/URL]
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    kenickie9 wrote:
    I recently helped out a couple who had some really bad pictures taken at their wedding. Because the phots were probably taken on a poor digital camera the "buy photo" option is not working, it says that the photo is too small. Is there any way to bypass this, so that this poor bride can purchase and print her pictures?

http://natalielane.smugmug.com/gallery/7021130_uHTi2 password focus

First, the password isn't necessary - just clicking your link gets me to the photos.

Secondly, perhaps the owner of those pics gave the people the really low res version of the pics because they did not want them printed without them receiving $ for the prints. That is how many wedding and portrait photogs earn their living.

I agree, the photos are not particularly good, from either a compositional, lighting or quality perspective. However, I suspect they are still the property of the original photog, and that you and your friend should be sure about editing, posting and trying to buy the photos without the photogs permission.

ann
  • Options
    SledhedSledhed Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    So you did not take the photos? If this is the case it is ILLEGAL for you to have these printed without the photographers permission.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Interesting thread.

I don't think the photos are that bad. Why don't you just get the original photos from whoever took them with the "poor" camera and upload them to your site? I'd like to see the high resolution photos posted. Maybe they can be improved with some pp.

:lurk