#17 - feedback and choices ?

catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
edited January 21, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Any feedback on the impact of one over the other would be GREATLY appreciated. first challenge, yadda yadda yadda :dunno I'm working on it. Post-processing tips, changes, colorations (the 1st can easily be B&W but the impact is minimal).

Both of these shots can be possibly reproduced with better framing, DOF, etc. Ideas or ways to play with this loved! My model is a very very very mellow cat, to say the least.

456393468_WdMpL-M.jpg

or

456395075_d8PKk-M.jpg
//Leah

Comments

• GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    Hi! I really like the framing in #2, but it really needs to be sharp to grab the detail of hair. If you're struggling with shutter speeds, try putting your cat in a well lit window. The first one is nice, but the white ourter edges are pulling my attention, and the black hair is so dark it's notreally emphasizing any detail. Hope this helps!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    Hi! I really like the framing in #2, but it really needs to be sharp to grab the detail of hair. If you're struggling with shutter speeds, try putting your cat in a well lit window. The first one is nice, but the white ourter edges are pulling my attention, and the black hair is so dark it's notreally emphasizing any detail. Hope this helps!

Agreed - I was trying for something on #1 that isn't working. Instead of backlit, I might need to try different lighting situations.

I've direct sun on #2 but goodness, the sunlight is WEAK this time of year :cry Focusing on the fly is a fine art (has to be done manual since the camera has conniptions over black fur. ooof) that I'm still mastering on *moving* macros. (all my other macro work has stayed still. not tried to, say, start grooming.).

thank you!!!!iloveyou.gif
    //Leah
    edited January 17, 2009
    1. 456487006_5SRVS-M.jpg

2. 456487180_76w4M-M.jpg

3. 456487493_8CHHi-M.jpg

hmm, better? headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
    //Leah
    edited January 17, 2009
    answer : no.

theme is hair, going to dial the ISO up a tad and wait for sunlight again to work on variations of #2 from the 1st post. thanks to others who gave input outside the comments :)
    //Leah
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    answer : no.

theme is hair, going to dial the ISO up a tad and wait for sunlight again to work on variations of #2 from the 1st post. thanks to others who gave input outside the comments :)

I actually really like #3, although I'll agree that the focus is more on those paw pads than the hair. But a very cool shot!!
    edited January 18, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I actually really like #3, although I'll agree that the focus is more on those paw pads than the hair. But a very cool shot!!

thanks! I rather like that shot and composition (no cropping!) but for the theme, it doesn't succeed as well. shooting a black cat is always a tricky thing, so any that turn out well feel like a small victory thumb.gif
    //Leah
    edited January 19, 2009
    take three....
    457947825_dvmZk-M-1.jpg

457947015_6HT2Y-M-1.jpg

457934725_389ib-M-1.jpg

457938238_KsWci-M-1.jpg

457935521_CvZM6-M-1.jpg

457957406_hoqTU-L.jpg

ne_nau.gif

post processing is still new to me, and the more I work on this the more I'm utterly lost. I'm not sure non-cat folks get the idea of the pose in #6. hrm.

C&C???
    //Leah
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    #4 or #5 of the last group are quite nice
    the focus is much better and composition and framing work well.
    It doesn't scream "hair" but it works quite well for the theme.

Lovely cat too!
    edited January 20, 2009
    sherstone wrote:

Lovely cat too!

thank you! :) or Hampton-san says 'thanks'. He's fairly unselfconscious for a cat, which makes him rather photogenic.

It's a hard balance between theme and just a good 'cat' photo. I tried to emphasize the white whiskers and other greying going on in his black coat, but in the end he's still a CAT. We all know what our own hair looks like, fur is a different .. um.. creature.
    //Leah
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    sherstone wrote:

Lovely cat too!

15524779-Ti.gif