Options

PS3 tools freeze up

HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
edited January 28, 2009 in Finishing School
Hello,

Sometimes when I open PS3 the tools are frozen and I only get the Hand tool. Even when I change tools it remains as the hand. If I reboot, all is back to normal. :scratch

Anyone else have this problem and anyone know a fix? I'm on PC with Vista.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    Anyone?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 18, 2009
    HarlanBear wrote:
    Anyone?

Mick,

This has never happened to me, but I have seen reports of it in the past. I'd look on the Adobe Photoshop forum for an answer. Let us know what you find out.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    HarlanBear wrote:
    Hello,

Sometimes when I open PS3 the tools are frozen and I only get the Hand tool. Even when I change tools it remains as the hand. If I reboot, all is back to normal. headscratch.gif

Anyone else have this problem and anyone know a fix? I'm on PC with Vista.

Thanks.

Try trashing your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop or ImageReady. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    Thanks Andrew & Richard. Good to hear from you guys.

Adobe says what Andy says, delete preferences. And I saw one comment that said to try reset tools to default. Since I don't really want to lose my custom preferences, I tried the reset of tools to default and we'll see how that works. The problem is inconsistent, so will have to let time pass and see if it comes up again.

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2009
    Well, resetting just the tools did not work after a couple of days. So I dumped the preferences and customized for my preferences. I should probably save those preferences so I don't have to rebuild again, but not sure how to save them correctly. Need to investigate that as well.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    I tried trashing the Photoshop preferences and that worked ... for a day. Then when I put the computer in Sleep Mode and came back the next day it had the same problem: tools are frozen and I only have the Hand tool even when selecting another tool. Very frustrating.

Any ideas? I guess I'll have to go on Adobe and ask them. What a pain:cry
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    It sounds like something is corrupting the preference file. Not sure Adobe can help in this case, it might be a system related issue.

Putting to sleep while the app is running or not? Should work either way, but its interesting to see if it affects Photoshop both ways.

Can't help you with Vista however. But I suspect something funky is going on with the system.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2009
    Apps are all closed when I put it to sleep. so not sure what's up. I may try to run PSCS3 in Legacy and see if that helps. Then may have to uninstall and install, to see if a clen install helps.

Funny that it ran fine for a year and now a bit of a problem.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 22, 2009
    HarlanBear wrote:
    Funny that it ran fine for a year and now a bit of a problem.

That is strange. Has anything changed on your system? New apps? New drivers? New hardware? I have a vague memory of someone who had a similar problem after installing a Wacom or some other tablet.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    That is strange. Has anything changed on your system? New apps? New drivers? New hardware? I have a vague memory of someone who had a similar problem after installing a Wacom or some other tablet.

Nothing new other than possible Windows updates and PS plug-in updates. But nothing sticks out as being changed and then the problem. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    How did you make out with this problem...it's started happening to me too, just in the last week or so, it seems to just stop doing it after a while, and work, but then as soon as I leave it for a bit, it happens againrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2009
    Haven't really totally solved the problem yet. The only advice I've seen is to dump PS preferences and start that process again. But that didn't completely solve the problem yet. And I haven't tried running PS in Legacy, so I should try that. As with you, the problem comes and goes, so ....

But I'll update on any solution I find.