Nice Day at Half Moon Bay - Surfing

toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
edited January 21, 2009 in Sports
I got out late today... 2pm, no fog & very bright low sun. I figured the glare would blow me away. Maybe not... What do you think of the glare beads off the water?

456518433_jz7Em-M.jpg

456518560_YHoQV-M.jpg

456518426_m4Ecp-M.jpg
Rags

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    Nice shots. Did they have the competition today or was it pushed further?
    Steve

Website
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    Pushed out further, swell went to WA. This was at the paddle out beach along Rt1
    Rags
  • Quzol1Quzol1 Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    torags wrote:
    Pushed out further, swell went to WA. This was at the paddle out beach along Rt1

Are these full frame crops? what lens/body were you using? I was out at the south end of Ocean beach sat. For all the surfers on the water their was not much surfing going on headscratch.gif
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Nicely done! And in tough conditions! The second one is my favorite!
    edited January 19, 2009
    Quzol1 wrote:
    Are these full frame crops? what lens/body were you using? I was out at the south end of Ocean beach sat. For all the surfers on the water their was not much surfing going on headscratch.gif

Not much surfing? Boy you got that right... For all the paddling around you would think they would like more smiles yield.

I had my D90 with a Tamron 200-500. Not a very good lens, but it has the reach. I was surprised the glare chips weren't blown out more (the CP worked)
    Rags
  • stevehappstevehapp Registered Users Posts: 635 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Pretty horrendous conditions with that glare, mate.
    You did a good job, nevertheless.

cheers,
    steve
    Canon 40D, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6L, sigma 105mm Macro.
    Blog + Twitter
  • SaloSVSaloSV Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Ah, Ocean Beach.

Missed are the days paddling through foam and dodging seals off the end of Sloat Ave.

Fall really is the best time of year, anything between Sept and Nov. Early winter getting into Dec (might push into Jan if you're lucky) is when the swells increase in size dramatically, but so do the storms that come through. Pay attention to the wind and you'll know when to go out and get some great shots.

Offshore winds, smooth wave faces. Onshore, choppy and often unrideable. Ocean Beach is very finicky, but even during the rough wind days, if you get out early enough (sunrise), you'll find some hardcore guys out. Those are those who are usually pretty good. But you never know, sometimes its just about getting wet. I found myself many times just sitting in the water, cleansing my soul, not riding any waves.

Hope this helps.

p.s. If you're shooting Half Moon Bay, you probably already know about Maverick's. You won't be the first photographer out there. But if you can get out on the water on a good day there, you'll get some great stuff. Those guys who ride there are insane.
  • kiterchickkiterchick Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 21, 2009
    help with water sports photos
    I take a lot of kiteboarder shots and upgraded from auto everything on the D80 to do everything the hard way D300 Nikons. I'm using a Sigma 70-300 lens. My photos just aren't sharp. I used to be able to get the water drops coming off of the boards when people jump, now I have fuzzy pics. I'm reading up trying to learn the settings but could use some help. I am usually about 20 to 100 ft from the kiter/subject which is moving pretty fast when they are doing spins. What camera setting do you suggest? I'm going to try lowering the AF points to 9. I was using 51. ISO was 200 and Shutter speed was 500-1000. The below pic is taken about 15 ft away and really not moving that much but the water just isn't crisp. Slightly overcast sky.

thanks for the help.
    edited January 21, 2009
    I think your auto focus is getting confused. Don't use 51 pt, you know better than the cam what you want to focus on.

At SS 1000-1250 you should be good to stop the suds, especially at that distance. I would suggest f4 if you can with a cp. Sometimes neighboring wind/kite surfers take away from your subject

326781481_AXLUi-M.jpg
    Rags