Options

Digital Darkroom Assignment for the Week: 4/30 - 5/7

cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
edited May 5, 2004 in Finishing School
This weeks assignment: Affecting Mood

Use the photo editing software of your choice to affect the mood of an image. Some techniques you might use are:
  • Conversion to black and white
  • Exposure adjustments
  • Focus adjustments
  • Color adjustments
As with previous DD assignments, this assignment has two goals: To find a way to affect the mood in your images, and to help you become more familiar with your photo editing software.

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2004
    thumb.gif Excellent assignment! It should be a learning experience.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2004
    Exeter Place-"Log Outbuilding"
    Working on my study of "Exeter Place" Plantation, here in Suffolk, Virginia.
    "Log Outbuilding"

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2004
    I was fooling around with my new pen and tablet, did this, thought I'd stick in here, just 'cause I'm so proud of myself. It's not really appropriate, because it doesn't create a mood. But it does take a brightly lit photo and turn it into a newspaper image.

3856856-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2004
    Last Sunday Baptism
    I take pictures of baptisms for my church
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2004
    Feeling blue?

3858982-M.jpg

Or are you in the pink?

3858983-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2004
    Exeter place 'the Gate" Color
    "the Gate"
    color

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2004
    Exeter Place "the Gate" Color and QuadTone
    "the Gate"
    Color and QuadTone

ginette
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2004
    Exeter Place "the Gate" B&W, QuadTone & Color
    "the Gate"
    B&W, QuadTone and Color

ginette
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2004
    Nice work, Ginette. I especially like the grubby last one. If you do this as I do it, you've been doing a lot of detail work. Nice job. thumb.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2004
    Getting freaky.

3706526-M.jpg3859656-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2004
    3742851-M.jpg3860120-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2004
    The Grass is Always Greener someplace else...
    wxwax wrote:
    Nice work, Ginette. I especially like the grubby last one. If you do this as I do it, you've been doing a lot of detail work. Nice job. thumb.gif

Thank You Sid...
    Yup... oodles of detail work... But fun, in the end. I suspect one of those "pens" everyone talks about would make it much easier, and faster?
    Helpful tip to anyone who wants to do this kind of work.
    Save each layer as a separate file, then you can copy and place or paste, into another image.

Sid.
    Really Love the enhanced version of Freaky! Nice Pen Tool work. Umm, strange architecture though... Where would I find it were I to visit?rolleyes1.gif

ginette
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2004
    baptism picture of a non typical family
    I love this picture. I have done extensive work just removing shadows that were the result of my flash throwing more light than expected. They were distracting, though, so this did improve the mood of the picture, if not the mood of the people in it.

I also lightened lightened the picture, just to the point of contrast and lighting that I liked.

ginger

How does one get two pictures in one reply? I do have a filtered one, too. I will reply with that, maybe, but there must be a simple way to upload both files, not that large, on the same reply, others are doing it.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2004
    The Baptism Continued, two
    I really tried to make the mood worse, after the fact, last night. Black and white was almost better. For some reason I couldn't get it to do sepia, but I don't think that would have made the mood worse either. Probably the colors, even to the colors in the frame in the first picture, actually improve upon this unfortunate family.

I did kind of like this filter effect. But it may have improved the mood, by softening the features a bit.

ginger
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I was fooling around with my new pen and tablet, did this, thought I'd stick in here, just 'cause I'm so proud of myself. It's not really appropriate, because it doesn't create a mood. But it does take a brightly lit photo and turn it into a newspaper image.

3856856-M.jpg
    Well it does create a mood really sid.. a gritty, painful, oh my butt hurts and I'll never get up this hill mood.
    Nice shot...
    Howdya like the tablet?
  • Options
    SavannahManSavannahMan Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I love this picture. I have done extensive work just removing shadows that were the result of my flash throwing more light than expected. They were distracting, though, so this did improve the mood of the picture, if not the mood of the people in it.

I also lightened lightened the picture, just to the point of contrast and lighting that I liked.

ginger

How does one get two pictures in one reply? I do have a filtered one, too. I will reply with that, maybe, but there must be a simple way to upload both files, not that large, on the same reply, others are doing it.
    I believe uploading limits you to one pic per reply. (might be wrong) Linking to a photo you have stored on another website is unlimited.... this may help.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Looking good Sid!
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2004
    Old Farm House near Tuckers Swamp
    Taken this afternoon with my twin son's in tow...
    "Old Farm House near Tuckers Swamp"

ginette
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2004
    Guess I should post these Larger.
    Taken this afternoon with my twin son's in tow... Only a few miles from our home.
    "Through the Open Window"
    Off Rt 258 near Cut Thru Rd, Windsor, VA

ginette
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2004
    B&W and Quadtone
    Taken this afternoon with my twin son's in tow... Only a few miles from our home.

ginette
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2004
    TriTone with ghosted image

ginette
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

Hi Ginger. You cannot attach two photographs in the same post. The only way to get two photos in the same post is to link to them (i.e. have them on the web sonewhere, and paste the links into your post.)

In case you missed it, it's all explained here.

You did nice work getting rid of the flash shadows... with that white wall, it must have been a challenge.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Well it does create a mood really sid.. a gritty, painful, oh my butt hurts and I'll never get up this hill mood.
    Nice shot...
    Howdya like the tablet?

Cool, thanks. The tablet and pen are much better at accurate detail work. I'm surprised at how quickly I became comfortable working with them. Relatively inexpensive, too.
    Sid.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited May 2, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Cool, thanks. The tablet and pen are much better at accurate detail work. I'm surprised at how quickly I became comfortable working with them. Relatively inexpensive, too.
    The only "wierd" thing is the tablet is 1:1 with the screen where a mouse can
    be used to navigate the screen in a very small area.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2004
    AltPro wrote:

ginette
    thats cool Ginette, I like that..
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    The only "wierd" thing is the tablet is 1:1 with the screen where a mouse can
    be used to navigate the screen in a very small area.

ian

Yes, I agree. Now I understand why the artists at work make big arm motions with the pen where I make small motions with the mouse.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    ooooo Sid.. nice one clap.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2004
    Shadows of another time...
    Another window, another ghost...
    I must be going into too many old vacant farmsteads...
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2004
    Adjusted
    ginette
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2004
    Shadows of Another Time
    Original

ginette