Griffith Observatory, LA Pano

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited January 24, 2009 in Landscapes
Hey guys- here is a Pano that I shot this evening of the observatory (towards the far right) and downtown LA in the background. I had a few more frames of the west-side, but there was some flare which I did not notice. :rolleyes Hence have not stitched those frames in. Not sure how to make the pano bigger (for viewing purposes)- it is already on the largest size

457669720_KoiFF-O.jpg

Cheers,

Comments

• grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    Nice job. Looks like you had a clear night in LA.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    It's too small, need a bigger version so we can see all the details please.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    How may shots is that? Jeez! If I start to stitch more than 6 shots together my panos start heavily slanting to one direction (my technique of "eyeballing it" seems to work when I'm there but not when I go back home).

If you want a larger size, just re-size the original to whatever size you think is appropriate (probably 1/3 to 1/5 the original size - that's still bigger than X3 though) and upload it to a gallery where you enable originals, and link to it from there (I haven't tried this, but it should work, in theory...).

I am interested to see what this looks like a little bigger.
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    456712872_k6StL-X3-1.jpg

Wow, what a pano. thumb.gif

If you zoom in on the observatory, you might see me and my kids out front. We were there about when you shot this.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Very, very nice pano! I'd love to see a bigger version in your gallery. thumb.gifthumb
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    How may shots is that? Jeez! If I start to stitch more than 6 shots together my panos start heavily slanting to one direction (my technique of "eyeballing it" seems to work when I'm there but not when I go back home).

If you want a larger size, just re-size the original to whatever size you think is appropriate (probably 1/3 to 1/5 the original size - that's still bigger than X3 though) and upload it to a gallery where you enable originals, and link to it from there (I haven't tried this, but it should work, in theory...).

I am interested to see what this looks like a little bigger.

Hey Ron- it's around 14 shots stitched together. I actually had a few more that I could not stitch in due to the flare.

Regarding the size- I uploaded the photo as you advised to a gallery and enabled originals, but when I go to the page to get the link, I can't find the link to the original files. That page only gives links till X3. How do I grab the link to the original file?

Cheers,
    edited January 19, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    Wow, what a pano. thumb.gif

If you zoom in on the observatory, you might see me and my kids out front. We were there about when you shot this.

That's too funny Bill. So your family and you were there that evening? It was such a beautiful day wasn't it? Funnily, I was setting my camera up to shoot this (Making it level etc) and this guy walks by me and says hi. Turns out he is a contact of mine on Flickr and we got chatting.

The last time around I did a self-portrait, which did not turn out too nice as I had to handhold the flash. This time I went prepared with a lightstand (couldn't still use an umbrella as a wind was blowing). Here is the result...

440443019_oRr5T-M-7.jpg

Cheers,
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    How may shots is that? Jeez! If I start to stitch more than 6 shots together my panos start heavily slanting to one direction (my technique of "eyeballing it" seems to work when I'm there but not when I go back home)..

i thought i had all exclusive rights to that techniqueeek7.gif (i cant wait for my pano head!)
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 19, 2009
    Jeff n Tom...
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Very, very nice pano! I'd love to see a bigger version in your gallery. thumb.gifthumb

I will try and do what Ron says (to upload a larger version).

Cheers,
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    nice pano!thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    Hey Ron- it's around 14 shots stitched together. I actually had a few more that I could not stitch in due to the flare.

Regarding the size- I uploaded the photo as you advised to a gallery and enabled originals, but when I go to the page to get the link, I can't find the link to the original files. That page only gives links till X3. How do I grab the link to the original file?

Cheers,

You don't need to post the original or the original's link here. Just send us the link to the image in your gallery.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
    edited January 19, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    You don't need to post the original or the original's link here. Just send us the link to the image in your gallery.

The gallery is unlisted, so I don't think it will show up. I managed to post a version here. It has replaced the original file.

Cheers,
    edited January 19, 2009
    i thought i had all exclusive rights to that techniqueeek7.gif (i cant wait for my pano head!)

:D I got mine a couple of weeks ago Aaron and since then being indulging in this facet of photography. It's a lot of fun, albeit challenging. Once I get used to the horizontal panos, then I will get the equipment (nodal slide and pan head) for the vertical panos too, to try my hand at multi-row panos.

Cheers,
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    The gallery is unlisted, so I don't think it will show up. I managed to post a version here. It has replaced the original file.

Cheers,

If you go to the Customize Gallery settings and click to enable originals, then you can link it elsewhere. It sounds like you have it only enabled to 3X for now. thumb.gif

ETA: Looks like you got it under control! Fantastic views!! bowdown.gif
    edited January 19, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    If you go to the Customize Gallery settings and click to enable originals, then you can link it elsewhere. It sounds like you have it only enabled to 3X for now. thumb.gif

ETA: Looks like you got it under control! Fantastic views!! bowdown.gif

Thanks Schmoo- followed Ron's advice and it seems to work now. I realized that there still is no 'original' link on the links page. So I just changed to X3 to 'O' in the pasted link and it works! wings.gif

Although I have to say, the sharpness seems lacking (the pano is tack sharp in the original). I guess something is getting lost in translation.... *sigh*

Cheers,
    edited January 19, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    Although I have to say, the sharpness seems lacking (the pano is tack sharp in the original). I guess something is getting lost in translation.... *sigh*

Hmmm, it shouldn't really be compressing things on the upload unless your original file is larger than 24 MB. If it's larger than that, then yes we do resize it to fit our specifications. ear.gif
    edited January 19, 2009
    Ron...
    coscorrosa wrote:

BTW at what point in your workflow do you sharpen the image? I first stitch them (in Tiff format), make any curves adjustments and then sharpen them using USM, after which I save them as .jpeg. Is that right or do you suggest something else?

Cheers,
    edited January 19, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Hmmm, it shouldn't really be compressing things on the upload unless your original file is larger than 24 MB. If it's larger than that, then yes we do resize it to fit our specifications. ear.gif

Good to know about the file size restriction. This version is way smaller, but I will keep the file size in mind for the future.

Thanks Schmoo...
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    woohooo great job dearclap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited January 19, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    BTW at what point in your workflow do you sharpen the image? I first stitch them (in Tiff format), make any curves adjustments and then sharpen them using USM, after which I save them as .jpeg. Is that right or do you suggest something else?

Cheers,

Hmm, that sounds more or less what I do, but maybe the USM settings itself have something to do with it? I'm not the best person to ask because I consider my PP skills amateurish compared to some of the great things I see discussed in the Finishing School forum! :D
    edited January 19, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Hmm, that sounds more or less what I do, but maybe the USM settings itself have something to do with it? I'm not the best person to ask because I consider my PP skills amateurish compared to some of the great things I see discussed in the Finishing School forum! :D

Wow thanks Schmoo... I didn't even know that there was a 'Finishing School' forum... I am all excited now... Woohoooo!!! wings.gifwings.gifwings.gif

Cheers,
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    Wow thanks Schmoo... I didn't even know that there was a 'Finishing School' forum... I am all excited now... Woohoooo!!! wings.gifwings.gifwings.gif

Cheers,

Dude, you need to get out more often! deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited January 19, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    Dude, you need to get out more often! deal.gif

Hah- I sure do... I didn't even realize there are other forums besides the support and shot ones!!! rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    That's too funny Bill. So your family and you were there that evening? It was such a beautiful day wasn't it? Funnily, I was setting my camera up to shoot this (Making it level etc) and this guy walks by me and says hi. Turns out he is a contact of mine on Flickr and we got chatting.

The last time around I did a self-portrait, which did not turn out too nice as I had to handhold the flash. This time I went prepared with a lightstand (couldn't still use an umbrella as a wind was blowing). Here is the result...

440443019_oRr5T-M-7.jpg

Cheers,

Well, I hate to break the news, but someone should tell you... sunset shots in winter don't count if you take them while wearing a t-shirt :D

The original looks much more impressive at the larger size. Now all I need is a bigger monitor...
    edited January 20, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Well, I hate to break the news, but someone should tell you... sunset shots in winter don't count if you take them while wearing a t-shirt :D

I just looked at his self portrait again... I can't believe he isn't in shorts! After all, the temps were in the mid 80's on Saturday.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited January 20, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    That's too funny Bill. So your family and you were there that evening? It was such a beautiful day wasn't it?

It was an awesome day. I was only in town all-day Friday and Saturday and the weather was perfect. Maybe I will be back living in SoCal sooner than I thought. I took the kids to the beach on Friday and then the observatory on Saturday then back home to Las Vegas.
    edited January 20, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    I just looked at his self portrait again... I can't believe he isn't in shorts! After all, the temps were in the mid 80's on Saturday.

Come on now Ron and Bill- Am I some piece of meat? eek7.gif

I feel so..so.. violated... ROTFLMAO... rolleyes1.gif

Well the reason was that I was expecting it to be cooler at that height (weren't we taught that temperatures decrease by 1C for every 100mtrs. of ascent?)... Ok Ok... I just happened to be wearing that stuff... Is that so wrong? Jeez... :D

Cheers,
    edited January 20, 2009
    Laughing.gif, my kids were complaining about the heat because I made them bring their long pants to California in the middle of winter...

What was I thinking? eek7.gif
    edited January 24, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    Laughing.gif, my kids were complaining about the heat because I made them bring their long pants to California in the middle of winter...

What was I thinking? eek7.gif

Boy- I am surprised your kids did not create a ruckus!!! eek7.gif Hey on the flip side, they should be eternally grateful to you for the nice warm weather. What a great dad!mwink.gif

Cheers,