Moving from film to DSLR - D700! Or maybe a 5DII? HELP!!!!!

kejagokejago Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited February 13, 2009 in Cameras
Decisions, decisions. This is my conundrum:

Now it is almost time to upgrade from my little point and shoot to a proper DSLR. I want to go full frame sensor. Why? I like the effects of wide angle, and the “noise free” high ISO capabilities of a full frame sensor. I also enjoy shooting candid’s, shooting in low, natural light... often indoors. Think inside castles or churches, medieval towns in Europe, and some street photography. I used to be into wildlife when living in South Africa, but not now, not anymore. I also like fine art nudes, but this is an area I have not explored yet. Sports? Never. Landscape? Maybe... but not a priority on the list. Obviously also the snapshots of the family and the dog.

My choice for this “do it all” was narrowed down to the D700 with 24-70 f2.8. It ticks all the boxes, and leaves me a with a warm fuzzy feeling inside. The 5D was my choice before, but liked what Nikon did with the D700, so that took top of my list. Now I also like what Canon have done with the 5DII. I am still reading all the pros and cons about this duel (5DII vs D700).

I used to shoot film with a Canon EOS 600 during the 80’s. I just dug this beast out of its dusty storage, along with an EF 35-105 F1:3.5-4.5, an EF 100-300 1:5.6L, and a Canon Speedlite 430EZ flash. Oh yes, some film still packed in its original box, expiry sometime in early 2003! :D

Now that I have dug out my old Canon stuff, I am wondering about the 5DII. Why did I do that!! :dunno :scratch :D . Is it worth “salvaging” my old lenses to use on a 5DII, or if in fact, is it even worth it? Would I need new lenses anyway? Can I still use my old Canon lenses and Speedlite on a new 5DII? And the flash, is that worth keeping, or do I need to invest in a new flash too?

Or should I just go with the Nikon D700 with 24-70 2.8 I was considering? Yes, the Canon 5D also made it to my short list originally.

The recent price increases, and of course the economic downturn is eating into my budget (SFr 5000 / £3000 / € 3300 / $4500) which has taken me a year to save, and making me cautious about this decision. I would appreciate some other insights, opinions and thoughts before making my final decision.

Thanks.... Kev.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 18, 2009
    kejago wrote:

I used to shoot film with a Canon EOS 600 during the 80’s. I just dug this beast out of its dusty storage, along with an EF 35-105 F1:3.5-4.5, an EF 100-300 1:5.6L, and a Canon Speedlite 430EZ flash. Oh yes, some film still packed in its original box, expiry sometime in early 2003! :D

Now that I have dug out my old Canon stuff, I am wondering about the 5DII. Why did I do that!! ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif:D . Is it worth “salvaging” my old lenses to use on a 5DII, or if in fact, is it even worth it? Would I need new lenses anyway? Can I still use my old Canon lenses and Speedlite on a new 5DII? And the flash, is that worth keeping, or do I need to invest in a new flash too?

The Canon Ef 100-300mm, f5.6L is still considered a fairly good lens optically. It is pretty slow from both an aperture and AF speed point-of-view, but if you liked it before you might find it OK on a modern Canon camera. It would no longer be supported or serviced by Canon so that might be a consideration.

Here's a pretty good review:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/x-300.html

The other lens and especially the flash are not much use I'm afraid. The EF 35-105 F1:3.5-4.5 is not a good match for a camera like the 5D MKII because it just can't support the resolution of the camera. The EZ series flashes will not work on the modern Canon digital cameras except at full burst.

Both the Nikon D700 and the Canon 5D MKII are pretty amazing cameras.

The two will produce very similar prints up to 8" x 10" at most ISOs. The Canon does have more usable resolution in good light but the Nikon has a much better AF section. It really boils down to which system suits your style of shooting and feels right in your hands. Take your time and do try to find examples of each camera to test personally.

I really could go either way in today's market if I were starting out, but I am firmly entrenched in the Canon system of lenses and compatible flashes.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    The brand choice is only limited by what works for you. The feel, the ease of the buttons, menus and the like.
    If you have the option visit a good camera shop and play around with both systems. If you can rent them even better.
    Steve

Website
  • kejagokejago Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    Thanks Ziggy. thumb.gif Also read about the EX vs EZ Speedlites on the Bob Arkins link. Yip, seems my old kit can go back into storage for my kids to donate to a museum some day...
    edited January 18, 2009
    The brand choice is only limited by what works for you. The feel, the ease of the buttons, menus and the like.
    If you have the option visit a good camera shop and play around with both systems. If you can rent them even better.

I like both. :D Unfortunately, there is nowhere that rents. Else I would have done that for sure. I did try both for feel though. And both are good. See, it is niot so easy, is it! deal.gif:D
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    kejago wrote:
    I did try both for feel though. And both are good. See, it is niot so easy, is it! deal.gif:D

Most of us were brand locked before making the leap into digital. This made our choice easier as we were already brand locked with glass. You really can't go wrong with either choice these days. There isn't a clear choice as to which is better.
    Sure I believe that Nikon is better, and the Canon people will have reasons why they believe that system is better.
    Recently I went out with a Canon user and we swapped cameras for the day. The photos I took were just as good (the bright day sun images were slightly better with Canon) but the camera felt awkward in my hands. I am sure that I could get used to it.
    For me to switch brands at this point would take a sponsorship from Canon. Of course with that sponsorship I would proudly claim their system was the best ever made :ivar
    If you really can't decide on the system, do the search on the glass that you want, add up the price of a complete system and let your budget make the decision.
    Steve

Website
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    I think since you listed high ISO capacity first and some quick snaps of kids and stuff, the D700 with it's very low noise, fast response, and pop up flash a better fit for the things you are considering.

The 5DMII may be better fit if you plan on printing pretty large with landscape shots but for some candid stuff, the pop up flash can be very handy.

Personally, I think the D700 is better suited for low light and more general use and the Canon leans more towards to fine art/landscape/studio work. Just my view that's all.

As for the flash and lenses, I'm not sure if the EZ series works with the 5DMII or not but I'd probably sell all the lenses and start a new either way you go.

If money is a concern, also consider third party lenses from Tamron and Sigma as well.

Good luck.
  • Wes WeberWes Weber Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    Kev,

Back in 2003 when I bought my D100, part of the decision was to use my old lenses that I had with my F4. Not long after, I sprung for a new wide angle. That poisoned me - it had silent, quick focus. All of a sudden I found myself looking at a whole new lens set. I recently sprung for a D700, and got a 70-200VR to go with it. When I was testing the D700, I looked at the 24-70 and was totally impressed. Chances are I'll be getting one soon too.

So, long story short, I've evolved to a new lens set anyway. If I knew that back then I would have looked at different brands a little more.

I was in a similar pickle before getting the D700. I ended up deciding that I wanted 8 FPS more than I wanted video.

I feel your pain.

Wes
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    I would agree with Tee Why. The D700 "gets the shot" where a 5D/5D2 waffles in low light and with fast-moving subjects (candid subjects and kids are properly shot by sports shooters imho). Having said that, the 5D2 has the most lovely set of fast primes available that are of the best quality (ring USM) AF that Nikon, currently, cannot touch. Since you're not exactly current on Canon's lens lineup, it may not matter to you the difference between where Canon & Nikon have put their energy in lens-making the last several years. Bottom line: The two have some startling differences as well as a good amount of overlap. Ultimately, I believe it really does make a difference to the individual where the buttons are and how you like the ergonomics. Figure out a way to spend some time with each if you cannot rent. Both take beautiful pictures—that's not the part anyone needs to wonder about.
    edited January 19, 2009
    Some excellent advise here. Thanks for the feedback folks. The scales are tipping more and more in favour of the D700 now.

Primes are not an important consideration for me. 2 or 3 good zooms are. And I know most of my shooting is on the wider angle end of things, and currently, that Nikkor 24-70 2.8 is hard to beat. And it feels like a proper lens! deal.gif:D I like big, I like it when feels like it has substance. That lens, on the D700 feels very good. Coupled with the fact it has a flash for the occational fill-in when I need it, scores a big plus. I have no need for a seperate flash. Yet.. rolleyes1.gif Video? I will never use it. I have a video option on my G9... never ever used it, so I do not think I will miss it on a DSLR.

Yip, looks like the D700 with that awesome 24-70 2.8 it will be. thumb.gif Thanks much for the extra food for though in helping me decide. Very much appreciated.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Great choice on the D700 and 24-70! The D700 is such a sweet camera!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited January 19, 2009
    Just rented a D700 and 24-70 for a week. It is indeed a beautiful combo. The manual focus is really smooth. The optics are great.
    edited January 19, 2009
    You went to the other side?? Sounds like it felt nice!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited January 19, 2009
    You went to the other side?? Sounds like it felt nice!

I've been sleeping with the enemy. I plan to post my thoughts after another couple of weeks with both.
  • planetMitchplanetMitch Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    kejago wrote:
    Some excellent advise here. Thanks for the feedback folks. The scales are tipping more and more in favour of the D700 now.

Primes are not an important consideration for me. 2 or 3 good zooms are. And I know most of my shooting is on the wider angle end of things, and currently, that Nikkor 24-70 2.8 is hard to beat. And it feels like a proper lens! deal.gif:D I like big, I like it when feels like it has substance. That lens, on the D700 feels very good. Coupled with the fact it has a flash for the occational fill-in when I need it, scores a big plus. I have no need for a seperate flash. Yet.. rolleyes1.gif Video? I will never use it. I have a video option on my G9... never ever used it, so I do not think I will miss it on a DSLR.

Yip, looks like the D700 with that awesome 24-70 2.8 it will be. thumb.gif Thanks much for the extra food for though in helping me decide. Very much appreciated.

Well... I'm a canon guy and have been since day 1 so I'm not gonna help on the nikon side. But if you're inclined, there's at least one place i know of that rents both - http://cameralensrentals.com.

I'm also managing the 5d wiki at http://planet5d.com - if you want any info about the 5D2, we likely have it (tho there are some areas i know we need to expand).

Good luck which ever way you go!
    Mitch
    NEW! planet5d.com THE 5d Wiki! Follow me on twitter for updates
    (includes mk ii info and samples - all in one central location)
    planetMitch.com my home site
  • AspectArtsAspectArts Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    I had a similar dilemma when breaking into the DSLR world, although my choices were the Rebel or the D80, lol. Each had it's own advantages, which is why, I guess, the Nikon/Canon debate rages on. It came down to which advantages I wanted most. I am a Nikon girl, and I am REALLY wanting to upgrade to the D700. ;)
    I guess one point in Nikon's favor that hasn't been mentioned yet (although I don't know if you need it) is that it has the pop-up flash, while it may seem silly on a pro camera, can be used as a commander flash for Nikon's speedlight flashes.
    Good luck in your decision!
    Lisa

my site: www.aspectartsphoto.com
    my gear: nikon D700, 70-200 mm 2.8, 24-70 mm 2.8, 50 mm 1.4, SB600, AB800
    edited January 21, 2009
    I have taken another good long hard look at the 5D vs 5DII vs D700 vs Sony Alpha A900 again. Final winner: Yes, the D700. It meets all my needs, and all things considered, is a very good body indeed.

What knocked the A900 and 5D out of the running: No live view. I got to like this from using the Canon G9, and has become a "must have" feature for me. 5D has no micro adjustment for lens anomolies either.

5DII - I will not need to print any bigger than A4. Do I really need so many pixels? No. Does it have a flash? No.

Then I looked at lenses. I will probably only have 2, or 3 lenses to cover all my needs. My current interest in perspective to photograph lies in the use of wider angle lenses... and here the Nikkors are very very good.

So, excellent wide angle zoom lenses, an on board flash, live view, excellent low light capabilities, weather sealing, sensor cleaning and a good chunky feel has ticked all the right boxes for me.

Now I will stop pixel peeping, looking at pros and cons and comparisons, and focus on getting a good deal on a D700 and 24-70 2.8 Nikkor. clap.gif

Next mission: learn to use the camera, and learn to take some good photos! :ivar There will be no excuses like blaming the equipment this time round!! deal.gif:D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 21, 2009
    kejago wrote:
    I have taken another good long hard look at the 5D vs 5DII vs D700 vs Sony Alpha A900 again. Final winner: Yes, the D700. It meets all my needs, and all things considered, is a very good body indeed.

So, excellent wide angle zoom lenses, an on board flash, live view, excellent low light capabilities, weather sealing, sensor cleaning and a good chunky feel has ticked all the right boxes for me.

Now I will stop pixel peeping, looking at pros and cons and comparisons, and focus on getting a good deal on a D700 and 24-70 2.8 Nikkor. clap.gif

Next mission: learn to use the camera, and learn to take some good photos! :ivar There will be no excuses like blaming the equipment this time round!! deal.gif:D

Kejago,

That's a great way to purchase anything; assess your needs and don't get distracted by the fluff. It sounds like you will have a great tool for your craft.

You are right, now your task is to learn the D700 to the point where it becomes an extension of yourself. It needs to become a simple tool that you command and doesn't get in the way of your productivity. If you can concentrate on learning the means to get the absolute best out of light, scene, lens, camera, software and presentation you can achieve your goal. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited January 21, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Kejago,

That's a great way to purchase anything; assess your needs and don't get distracted by the fluff. It sounds like you will have a great tool for your craft.

You are right, now your task is to learn the D700 to the point where it becomes an extension of yourself. It needs to become a simple tool that you command and doesn't get in the way of your productivity. If you can concentrate on learning the means to get the absolute best out of light, scene, lens, camera, software and presentation you can achieve your goal. thumb.gif

Kejago, Ziggy has acheieved zen with cameras and photography. mwink.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited February 13, 2009
    An update...

Finally!!

473128802_RMx4t-XL.jpg

clap.gif :ivar wings.gif

I finally understand what you guys go through when you order new gear... and the dreaded wait sets in.

:D

OK, I'll calm down now. Really, i'll try REAL hard to be calm.

wings.gif

Sorry... I can't!!!! :D
    edited February 13, 2009
    Congrats! It's a fine, fine camera.