My son in the bright garage

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited January 22, 2009 in People
Tried something new in my garage today. I don't normally shoot in the middle of the day with our bright, Florida sun. Took these today inside the garage with the other garage bay door open in an effort to get some better directional lighting. I used a reflector on my right for some fill.

This may be my solution for when I "need" to shoot midday.

Any thoughts?

456951162_rQw4n-L.jpg

456951229_9gkcL-XL.jpg
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    Quite simply... beautiful. That sparkle in the eyes! iloveyou.gifclap.gifthumb

(Have you ever considered doing performer headshots? Seriously - that kind of manipulated natural light and unfussy-but-flattering clear capture of a *personality* is THE style right now.... If I lived anywhere near you I'd be BEGGING for some shots in The Magic Garage! nod.gif)

And if I'm not mistaken your two younger ones look very alike, yes?

Beeeyootiful shots. Thanks for sharing!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Quite simply... beautiful. That sparkle in the eyes! iloveyou.gifclap.gifthumb

(Have you ever considered doing performer headshots? Seriously - that kind of manipulated natural light and unfussy-but-flattering clear capture of a *personality* is THE style right now.... If I lived anywhere near you I'd be BEGGING for some shots in The Magic Garage! nod.gif)

And if I'm not mistaken your two younger ones look very alike, yes?

Beeeyootiful shots. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you!

You are correct. These type of natural headshots are definitely "in". I've been inspired to shoot with this setup by Kevyn Major Howard. He shoots pro headshots in LA. Quite simply a master of this type of shooting. Check out his online portfolio.
    http://www.headshot-photography.com/portfolio.htm

I've tried to emulate his style in both composition and posing. He's fantastic.

I have done several local performer headshots in my garage. I'd love to do more!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Thank you!

You are correct. These type of natural headshots are definitely "in". I've been inspired to shoot with this setup by Kevyn Major Howard. He shoots pro headshots in LA. Quite simply a master of this type of shooting. Check out his online portfolio.
    http://www.headshot-photography.com/portfolio.htm

I've tried to emulate his style in both composition and posing. He's fantastic.

I have done several local performer headshots in my garage. I'd love to do more!

I think I'm actually relieved that this was consciously in that style on your part, or I'd feel even more in awe than I already am bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow Between those catchlights, and the perfectly controlled DOF to give face sharpness melting into the blurred shoulders in just the right place, you have got it down perfectly. thumb.gifthumb

I've mentioned this in other threads, but this is the style that classical singers are finally starting to adopt - it's been pretty much the norm for actors for a few years, but classical musicians have been stuck in a 1980s (ha - 1940s!) formal studio portrait look for way too long, only FINALLY starting to climb into something more naturalistic and/or urban/pj "edgy". Thank goodness!

Beautiful shots, Mitchell thumb.gif
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    These are really beautiful. You've definitely got your solution for a mid day shoot.

Caroline
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    Great expressions and incredible light!!!
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    Thanks for the link to Kevyn Major Howard's site. I think you've done a great job in taking his style and making it work for you. If I had to vote, I would pick #1 as my favorite.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    Hey Mitch. Handsome young man you have there. A couple of great shots, crystal clear eyes and nice catch lights. The light is so warm and inviting. Wonderful job!!!
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    As always, I'm asking for the shooting info, p l e a s e ?

Perfect exposure on both shots. Wonderful colors and tones. Beautiful soft feel.

The 2nd looks slightly blurred to me. I think, too, there is just a shave too much shirt and too much lost off the head. But beautiful molding of the features.

Is he left handed?

This style works very well for tender children. I'm trying to imagine if it would also work for life-coarsened subjects?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Excellent Mitchell!!!thumb.gif

The "garage lighting" is still on my list of things to try out....shots like yours certainly make it look worthwhile.

Thanks for sharing.
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Ooooh! This is so wonderful! I am going to have to try this when summer finally gets here!
    edited January 22, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    As always, I'm asking for the shooting info, p l e a s e ?

Perfect exposure on both shots. Wonderful colors and tones. Beautiful soft feel.

The 2nd looks slightly blurred to me. I think, too, there is just a shave too much shirt and too much lost off the head. But beautiful molding of the features.

Is he left handed?

This style works very well for tender children. I'm trying to imagine if it would also work for life-coarsened subjects?

Neil

Neil, these were shot at f2.8, 1/100, iso 200. They were shot with an 85mm, f1.4 lens on a Nikon D2Xs.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    These look absolutely great! The comp, lighting, and catchlights - all awesome. I think that you are doing this simply to tease us mere mORTALS.... :D Now I guess I need to go buy a garage. White foamcore was a lot easier on the wallet.....
    edited January 22, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Neil, these were shot at f2.8, 1/100, iso 200. They were shot with an 85mm, f1.4 lens on a Nikon D2Xs.

Very interesting, Mitch. Thanks! thumb.gif

And thanks for the link. Inspiring stuff (inspires you to steal, that is eek7.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif )

Neil

edited January 22, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Very interesting, Mitch. Thanks! thumb.gif

And thanks for the link. Inspiring stuff (inspires you to steal, that is eek7.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif )

Neil

I prefer to think of it more as artistic influence than stealing.:D
    edited January 22, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    I prefer to think of it more as artistic influence than stealing.:D

...of course, of course, that's what I meant to say! :ginger