First snow of 2009 (Nashville, TN)

BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
edited January 19, 2009 in Holy Macro
this is my first ever close-up of snow, taken with my new 105mm Nikkor (VR) on a D300, handheld in sub-freezing and windy conditions, a few days ago! Still getting used to shooting in manual focus. (So much for my list of excuses - LOL).

I can see that I will need to (1) get an extension tube for those super-close shots I've admired from posts here (and elsewhere), as well as (2) resign myself to using my tripod. But I never realized that so many snow flakes retain their crystalline shapes after they've fallen! (I don't see snow often, here in the South.) This is going to be a lot of fun, discovering all the little details I'd otherwise missed.

457225164_ZkktQ-L.jpg

Thanks for looking - c&c welcome! :D
Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!

Comments

• jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    Nice shot Nice detail. But I'm jealous, We didn't get any snow down here and I'm just 50 miles south of you.thumb.gif
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    jsmiley wrote:
    Nice shot Nice detail. But I'm jealous, We didn't get any snow down here and I'm just 50 miles south of you.thumb.gif

Hey neighbor - and thanks! :D Don't be too jealous - it was just a light dusting and didn't last a day! Still hoping for a decent blanketing, and maybe a snow day from work (so I can go out shooting!).
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Nice one- still trying to get some snow crystal shots.
    Brian V.