Today it pays ...

CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
edited January 19, 2009 in Landscapes
to take the kids outside to play. The kids want to go rollerblading, so I oblige. The Santa Ana (offshore) wind has been active lately which clears out all the haze and smog from the Los Angeles Basin and warms the area up to a pleasant 75 degrees. I grab my gear and drive the kids up the street to a hilltop in the neighborhood. While they have fun rollerblading, I enjoy my spectacular sunset.

1. The show begins: a magnificently clear view of the South Bay area all the way to the Catalina Island.
457408027_wwxhY-L.jpg

2. A closer look at the ships in the San Pedro Channel.
457508911_jQEun-L.jpg

3. View of the colorful sunset over the Palos Verdes Peninsula.
457365855_ZnjVU-L.jpg

4. Spectacular sunset. At the distance: Catalina Island on the left; Palos Verdes Peninsula on the right. Bright lights at left are from the House of Blues concert at the Angel Stadium in Anaheim.
457358574_eoQ9T-X2.jpg

Cuong
"She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips

Comments

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    I like the last one the most, the clouds have more colors and make things more interesting.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Nice! Not only did you get great colors, but there's just enough clouds to make things interesting.

That second shot reminds me of the Olympic Mountains at sunset as seen from Seattle (I might crop a good part of the bottom third out to put more emphasis on the water/mountains/sky). I like the silhouetted foreground in the third it gives the valley a sense of scale.

Good series!
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Thanks, Tom and Ron. Ron, I take your advice and crop out some more of the bottom part of #2.

The significance of these images is the spectacularly clear view of the San Pedro Channel (20 miles away) and Catalina Island (46 miles away), which are usually covered in a haze of fog and smog. I've lived in this area over 10 yrs and I've never seen it as clear as today. The colorful cloud cover is icing on the cake. I'm glad the kids get me out of the house so I get to enjoy the view today.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Great job i like the last a lot ! clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    All of them are quite good. Easy and interesting to look at! thumb.gifthumb
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Cuong, it really does!! A fantastic sunset and I love the view this time of the day. City lights make a sunset even more special. I hope your kids had a great time, too. thumb.gif
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    #2 is excellent...clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Cheers,
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    The last two are great.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    It's been really clear. Yesterday I went for a hike in Thousand Oaks and I could see Mussel Shoals, 60 miles away. :jawdrop
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Thank you all. I was lucky to be at the right time and place. Of course, having the camera gear also helped. The cloud cover has increased overnight and rain is expected in a couple days.

Cuong
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Beautiful series. #3 really stands out.