Options

Looking for Linux Users

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited January 20, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
At one point Shay Stephens was saying he was working toward running his business including P-shop on UBUNTU..........

Is anyone else running PC's on it?
Does W.I.N.E. do a good job of running P-Shop and what version of P-shop are you running on it??

I am ready to load an OS on to my newly put together machine and would really like to go Linux........if possible.
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• Options
    KullaKulla Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    At one point Shay Stephens was saying he was working toward running his business including P-shop on UBUNTU..........

Does W.I.N.E. do a good job of running P-Shop and what version of P-shop are you running on it??

I am ready to load an OS on to my newly put together machine and would really like to go Linux........if possible.

you can always download vmware player that is free and run guest xp on your linux machine :)
    Amar
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2009
    Kulla wrote:
    you can always download vmware player that is free and run guest xp on your linux machine :)

Thanx.....am hoping to keep all Win OS off this new machine.....If I can't then I will just buy another license for XP PRO.....but I hate to do that.
    Thanx again.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 19, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Thanx.....am hoping to keep all Win OS off this new machine.....If I can't then I will just buy another license for XP PRO.....but I hate to do that.
    Thanx again.

I have googled a bit and here is one good find

http://wiki.winehq.org/AdobePhotoshop
    Amar
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2009
    Kulla wrote:
    I have googled a bit and here is one good find

http://wiki.winehq.org/AdobePhotoshop

Thanx Kulla......... I have already been to the Wiki, Winehg , Ubuntu forums and also Linux.org forums asking ?'s ..... but hadn't gotten any answers yet and the last posting on Ubuntu was 4 wks old and the poster had come back with the results yet....a lot of the others are 2+yr old postings.

So I came here to see, if anyone, besides Shay had any success with this.

Thanx again.

• Options
    edited January 19, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Thanx Kulla......... I have already been to the Wiki, Winehg , Ubuntu forums and also Linux.org forums asking ?'s ..... but hadn't gotten any answers yet and the last posting on Ubuntu was 4 wks old and the poster had come back with the results yet....a lot of the others are 2+yr old postings.

So I came here to see, if anyone, besides Shay had any success with this.

Thanx again.

Np Art.

I will test tonight Ubuntu 8.10 and CS3.

Do you have anything in particular that you are interested for so I can test it directly or you would like to see if it works in general?
    Amar
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2009
    Kulla wrote:
    Np Art.

I will test tonight Ubuntu 8.10 and CS3.

Do you have anything in particular that you are interested for so I can test it directly or you would like to see if it works in general?

I guess in general.....as I will be running CS4 on the new machine and also LR2.

it looks like the newest wine is the answer from wht I have been reading.

Thanx again.

• Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:

S.S. is a regular over at the ubuntu forums. P.M. him there and see what progress he's made?
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:
    S.S. is a regular over at the ubuntu forums. P.M. him there and see what progress he's made?

Thanks David,

I kinda thought he might be and was running searches for him night before last on all the linux forums I have visited in the past 3 days.......to no avail.....of course he may be using an alias and not his name......but He redoing his site and there is no contact page right now also:cry ...... so as soon as my optical drives arrive and one last fan I can finish the assembly and then the fun starts.

• Options
    mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Art, my recommendation is to consider giving CrossOver Linux a try. It's a commercial product, but they do funnel much of what they do back into wine. Works great for most of the MS Office apps, never tried it with Photoshop.

For Photoshop compatibility, see here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?letter=p;

Here's the trial:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/download_trial/
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    I've got most stuff running in a VirtualBox under Linux. Don't have Photoshop, but PSP 9 & X2 as well as DPP run fine. Unfortunately, you still need to install and activate XP in the VirtualBox. Haven't been too impressed with anything I've tried under wine.

Give me a shout if you want to know anything specific, as I think I've hit every single problem that is out there.

(Running Kubuntu 8.10)
  • Options
    VenturiVenturi Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 20, 2009
    Hi Art,

I've been running Linux (openSuSE) as my desktop OS for just shy of 2 years now and couldn't have been happier to kick old uncle Bill to the curb - until I got serious about getting back into photography. I'm at the point now where I'm either going to slap another drive in and go dual boot or build another box specifically for digital darkroom with XP.

My PC is a 3yo (ancient, I know) dualcore 2GHz w/ 4GB DDR2 RAM, 512MB GPU and 700GB of 7200 RPM SATA. Native Linux apps like LightZone, GIMP, etc. all run nice and smooth but I've had zero satisfaction attempting to get the current WinApps (Lightroom2, PSPX2, CaptureOne4...) installed and running. Under VirtualBox at best they are sluggish, mostly they just crash. Don't even bother trying to install them under straight WINE. I let my Crossover subscription expire before I started trying to work with any of them but my experience with it was in some instances it did make installing easier but didn't make anything more stable. YMMV obviously and I'm sure there are some folks who have had successes with WINE/Crossover/etc., but it just isn't worth the effort for me. I work all day, and occasionally all night, on linux servers and the last thing I feel like doing when I download a batch of DNGs from the SD card is fight with the OS some more.

LightZone is great, but there are a few capabiities in Lightroom I want/need plus a couple specialty apps I would really like to have at my fingertips and they only have Win/Mac versions. So sooner than later I'll be dusting off my copy of XP again. :(

On a side note - how's things in Cow Town? :) I spent 20yrs growing up in Wichita and my brother still lives there and owns OffRoad Motorsports.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Venturi wrote:
    Under VirtualBox at best they are sluggish, mostly they just crash.
    Are you using shared folders through VB Guest Additions? Do you have a monitor (such as gkrellm) running on the host to watch your hardware usage?